1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by redoak77, May 17, 2008.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

The bed on my 03 ram 2500 has taken quite a beating over the last year. I managed to side swipe a car in a parking lot as well as put a nice scratch in the side while plowing this year. This is all in addition to an employee that was rushing a little to much and managed to jackknife the trailer into both rear corners. I took it in to get and estimate on the repairs and, needless to say, it was a small fortune. I was wondering how much you guys think it would cost just to replace the whole bed. I am betting it would be a lot cheaper. Also, where can I look for a bed other than ebay and possible some local junkyards? Thanks in advance.

P.S. It is a red '03 8-footer
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what your uses are, but you might consider a flat bed. They're usually around $1500 to $1900 and will give you a really tough platform to work off of. You could buy or build stake sides for it to extend its uses even further. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I would keep your eye on craigs list, ebay, or check around at your local truck upfitters. They will usually always have a selection of beds from replacing beds with other bodies. I would expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1500 for a good bed. Just a rough guess of what I've seen them going for, I've never really payed to much attention though. So maybe someone who has bought one before will chime in here..

Good luck.
  3. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

If I could do it all over again, I would go the flat bed route. But, now I am think about selling this truck so thats kinda why I want to get the bed fixed. Im going to keep my eye on ebay. There is one on there now, just not the right color. The good news is that my tailgate is still perfect and so is the bumper. The rest could be recycled too to recoup a little of the cost.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

FYI I have a landscaper bed (very good condition) on a 92 f350, the bed is a ~2000 model, that we put on later. The truck is worn out but the bed is in great shape, I don't know if it would fit a dodge, it 8' w/ a 4' dovetail, but I'd love to get rid of it. it's been sitting here taking up space for about 4 years.