New truck, but not for me

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by eslawns, Jan 18, 2003.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds like the same thing that happened to me in April of last year. I paid off my GMC, and went (to this same dealer) and discussed a trade-in. My truck has some minor dents, and the seats are torn. I priced a paint job at $950, and to recover the seats is about $175. If that was done, it would look new. Absolutely no, (none!, nada!, zero!, 0!) mechanical defects on this truck, 53k miles, new tires, and if you lift the hood, it looks brand new: no oil, grease, or dirt.

My personal property bill is based on NADA book trade-in which says my truck was worth $8400. I figured take $1200 off of that, and I should expect them to offer between $6-7k. They offered me $2000!! I was so mad I couldn't talk. I just asked for my keys and left. I didn't remember this until just now, but I won't be going back to that dealer again. If they end up the last Chevy dealer here, I'll drive to NC.

BTW, another dealership offered me the same truck for $100 less, and $4000 in trade without even seeing it. I almost bought that, but since I don't "need" a new truck, I think I'll just wait. I think I'll take $3 or 4k in cash and sell my truck outright.