1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new truck decision

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scott's turf, May 6, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Well My current 13 y.o. truck is on it's death bed so I am going out tonight to start the buying process. This is going to be my personal truck that will get used occasionally for business. I know that I want to get a 3/4 ton crew cab with a short bed. My question is wether I should get ford or dodge. Dodge seems to be much cheaper for the same amount of truck. This truck will probably be a gasser since I won't be towing with it much. Is this just a pissing match between these 3/4 tons or is the ford worth the exta money?
  2. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I believe the cab of the Dodge is smaller than the Ford. I also believe the Ford will hold it's value better but that is just what I have observed in this market. The both have great Diesel's if you want to go that route.
  3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

If I won a Dodge, I would trade it in. I bought a 2001 1500 Quad cab 4wheel drive w/5.2. I had 2 trannys, 2 steering shafts, 2 outside mirrors, 2 center consoles, 1 paint fix and the engine would shut off whenever it wanted to. I bought this truck with 3 miles on it and towed a trailer 2 times a week. I traded it on a GMC 2500hd and I love it.
    As far as a Ford, I have heard a few problems about them.
    I would consider a Chevy or GMC also. I put 25,000 miles a year on and plow about 12 places. I tow my trailer every sunny day and I get 12mpg towing, 14-15 empty. I have the 6.0 and that thing walks all over the Dodge 5.7 or the Ford 5.4. I have used both in other trucks. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
  4. scott's turf

from NH

I am not a big fan of chevy and was really leaning towards ford. I will be looking at both ford and dodge tonight. I have a diesel for the work truck and it is great for that. THis truck won't be working nearly as hard so I feel that I can not justify the $5k option for the diesel. any other comments out there?
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, as for the truck, I personally prefer Dodge. I have had, and do have both, and really like the Dodges I've owned, although the Fords have been good also. As for diesel vs. gas, I'd still spend the dough for the diesel. The resale will be much greater in most areas of the Country, which should somewhat make up for the higher intial cost. I am not a big fan of GM's either. My Father used to own only GM until I got him hooked on a Dodge diesel, now he won't go back. The new Dodge engines, especially the Hemi seem to be awful good running and easy on fuel. Good luck shopping.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Dodge seems to be much cheaper for the same amount of truck.

There's a reason for this:)

But dodge would be my 2nd choice
  7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I have to say that I am a Dodge man but I will try and make some non-biased points here.

-The Ford has a "real" Crew Cab which is roomier than the Dodge four door.

-Ford has a decent gasoline drivtrain.

-Dodge has the new Hemi/45rfe (5 speed auto) which even though it's not a time tested engine it's still a Hemi which is cool.

Dodge has come along way the Heavy Dutys. You have to compare the "new" Dodge to the Ford and not the previous design as some still do when you mention a Dodge. The fit and finish is superb and I personally like the interior over Fords rather bland Super Duty.

I have had the privlage to own 2 '03 2500/Cummins and both have been excellant. My only problem was my current truck had a bad shock absorber in the front which was replaced under warrenty.

In my biased opinion I feel Dodge is the best truck for the money and Ford and G.M better watch out because the gap is going to close in the truck sales market.

Finally, should you end up going diesel don't buy a 6.0 Powerstroke because they are having major problems with them, and for the record my Cummins has had ZERO problems.
  8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford all the way. My 2000 F250 PSD has 151K miles on it. Virtually trouble free I might add. In shop once (97K miles) for engine warranty work.

That being said I have a friend that has a 03 Cummins p/u. It isn't too bad a truck, and I do not like Didges.

My opinion on both the new PSD and the new Cummins is that neither one have been out long enough to work out the bugs on them.

This is gonna hurt and I hope Odin doesn't see this, but if you want a gasser look at a Chebie before the Dodge.

My personal choice for a gasser would be Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Diesel would be FORD, Dodge.
  9. scott's turf

from NH

Well I looked at trucks last night and sealed the deal this morning. I ended up buying a new F250 4X4 XLT crew cab short bed. It is one sweet truck. I looked at the dodge 2500 first with the hemi and it was a nice truck but had nothing to compare it to untill I test drove the Ford. What a difference. The back was much roomier, much better overall interior and exterior. The price was just about the same for both. I decided to go with the gasser because it is going to be more of a personal truck than a business truck. Won't be towing with it much. I currently have a 92' F250 diesel for the business and it pulls great but didn't feel like the 5k option for the diesel was beneficial in my case. Thanks for your help guys. I'll try to post some pics soon.

10. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations. May this truck serve you long & well.