1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Dilema!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Frank2, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Here's the deal --- Trade in mason dump on new diesel or keep mason dump and buy new V8 gasser???

Option 1 - Trade in dump truck on new '04 f250 diesel lariat, extended cab, 8' bed......will cost $30,200 + my mason dump. I will then need to put a plow on the truck and dump insert...about another $5500. (I tow an 18' enclosed trailer w/ two z's and walkbehind)

Option 2 - Don't trade in dump and buy a new '04 f350 xlt v8 gasser, extended cab, 8' bed for $30,400 and still have the dump as well.

I'm am leaning toward option 2. I would really like to have the diesel, but can not seem to justify the cost and losing my dump. If I did by the diesel, I lose my dump w/ plow and have to buy a new plow and dump insert for the pickup. (by the way....dump is paid for....it's a gasser and has received about $1000 - $1500 worth of repairs every year over the past two years)
    I would then be using this new truck for my daily cutting rig....w/ guys sweating in it and spilling sh#@ everywhere. Then plowing w/ the new truck and hitting manholes at my commercial places would kill me. The reason to go w/ option 1 would be to have the diesel and get rid of the dump that could or could not be on its last legs????

Input, comments, jabs........lets here them.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, sounds like a tough decision. why cant you get a 04 f250 diesel lariat extended cab 8' bed and keep the dump?

3. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Because I'm a landscaper and can't afford to....lol
    For real, because that $30,000 is the max number i want to borrow from the bank...don't want to have to borrow that extra $7000.

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

#2 here. It gives you an extra truck and a backup plus you could run 2 crews if you need to, a cutting crew and landscaping crew.Plus its paid for!

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i have a feeling i didnt make myself clear, i understand thats how much u want to pay, wouldnt a f250 diesel be about the same as a f350 gasser

6. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

I see what you are saying.....the f250 diesel is still about $6000 more than the f350 gasser. Not much of a price difference stepping up from the f250 to f350....only real difference they said is in the suspension in the rear of the truck.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You have to remember fuel milage though, the diesel is going to get way better milage then the gasser. Theres all these guys on here saying they get anywhere from 8-14 mpg towing with their gassers, I get 18 towing and 20 around town without the trailer and my truck has 240,000 miles on it. My brother owns a farm and he used to have a gasser and would use up gas like crazy so he traded his 02 gasser in on a 99 diesel and he's amazed, he said it was well worth it just in fuel.

Why not step back a couple years on a diesel? Like a 02 or something to save a few bucks? Remember they have a 5 year 100,000 mile warrenty on them i think. Plus the diesel will out last the gasser many times over. Can you tell i like diesels?

8. pfifla1

pfifla1 LawnSite Member

diesels get better gas mialege, and better life. plus you would be paying 2 insurance payments, and the repairs are a *****, its nice to have a warantee on something, why not get a xlt or xl even, thats an awefully nice truck to landscape in. personally im not a ford fan, i had 2 ford diesels, but i guess thats just cause i like 25mpg on the highway. extra vehicles are nice if you need them, but they can become draining with time.