New truck long or short

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjg, Feb 4, 2001.

1. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I am getting a new Chevy 3/4ton 4x4 ex. Cab w Duramax/Auto. I cannot decide on a short or long bed any help.Have always had short beds besides a few but they were not ex. cab just woundering what your guys ideas are.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Dodge is a Quad Cab short bed. I think it's plenty long when coupled to a 20' trailer. I have seen the long wheel base and they are entirely too long for my uses. Let everybody know how the Duramax runs and rides. How much you gonna give for it?
  3. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Thanks Homer I seen the pictures of your dodge and it looked almost just like mine last summer, mine was just solid marron and not two-tone, if I had a scanner or something I would post it. I was thinking the same thing about the trailers because both of mine are 20'. I'am good friends w/the dealer and have done all their LC work for 6 years now, usually I get a new truck for invoice or alittle under but this is going to cost me(HAHA) $1000.00 over invoice $39,000.00 sticker for about $35,000.00.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

My Ford is a crew-cab shortbox, I now wish it was a longbox. But I purchased the truck before realizing I was going to start this business. I know you have to be conscientious of maneuverability but the room in the box would be nice for mulch and debris removal and such. Really depends on your anticipated use.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

T.J., I'm also thinking of a new Chevy 3/4 ton. I drove one that other day. I had the 8.1 liter. The dealer didn't have any Duramax's available. I would go with the 8' bed. A side from the bed size (6.5 or 8 ), your fuel cell goes from 25 gallons with a 6.5' bed, to 34 gallons with an 8' bed. Thats over 100 more miles to a tankful.
  6. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

the truck i started with was a 98 chevy ext. cab short bed and this year we bought a 00'crew 8 foot bed.
    I like the long bed due to we bag EVERY lawn and the clippings add up.
    By the time you add a tool box, you don't have any room left

it's kinda like the trailer issue you buy a 12 foot but a 14-16 foot would be nicer.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Try to drive and park both. I have a crew cab long bed and don't really have any problems (well except for taking 2 parking spaces). I like the long bed.

8. double e

double e LawnSite Member

You could go with the short bed- Get a nice trailer-

I have a Chevy 3500 with a utility bed- I was a little spectical at first, but know I love it. Great for you guys installing irrigation. Got every tool you need right in the back of truck
  9. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Well I said I would reply when I got my new toy,tool, tax write off, truck. I got it friday 03-16-01 was at the dealer around 9:30-10:00am went to pickup up some trees and yews and got back in town, my help said we should drive by(1:00-1:30) and guess what it was in. Thay had it right up front w/ all the plastic all over it, they had people looking at it some even told me the watch it going by on the truck. Anyway I ended up getting a red Duramax w/ Allison 3/4ton crewcab 4x4 short box it had all the toys leather and all. The best thing was when I got a call about my old truck(96 chevy 1/2 ton z-71 diesel) the guy want to buy it and did the same day the new one came in. I didn't notice how wore out the 1/2ton was until I started driving the new truck. I only have about 300 miles on it but it in NICE. I really am glad I got the crew cab didn't know about the leather but saturday after work I was sore and turned the heater on in seat and it relaxed me, the truck does ride smoother than the 96 1/2ton.I am working on it today, it and the mowers and trailers, putting the finishing touches on them sice it is drizzling out, and before racing season gets here and the BIG summer rush. The whole truck is along awaited dream in the past 6 years I have worked my way up it did NOT happen over night. I would like to thank everyone for the information you share on here it would have sure been nice 6 yrs ago but I probably would not remeber all my mistakes as well. Anyone w/ question fill free to ask.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Congratulations! I'm planning on ordering one this fall. I will probably get the crew cab long bed.