New truck not needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mini man, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I am so sick of the half truths and misinformation I have got from various sources.
    I have coming in a couple of weeks a new GMC 550 2WD to tow my pintle hitch trailer with my 304 CCR excavator or The 289C Cat because I have been told it is impossible to tow it legally with a 2500 or 3500 Chev duramax.
    I want to get legal but more and more people are telling me a 3500 will pull the weight legal?
    WTF.............WTF.........WTF?:canadaflag::hammerhead::dizzy:

2. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Sorry.....5500 Topkick not 550

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Why are you looking for opinions?

The manufacturer states what the vehicles towing capacity is. Its just numbers.

Add up the machine and the trailer. Then find a truck that has an allowable weight more than that.

Its not a mystery here dude.

4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

well big diference from a 3/4 ton to 19K gvw truck.

5. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Some supposed Knowledgable people are telling me that with a gooseneck trailer and a dually gmc I can haul an 11000 lb machine legal?
    So many opinions of what is legal I guess

6. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

i believe set up right on a gooseneck a 3500 can pull a total wieght of 16500.

7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

to be honest if you don't have a dump the 5500 would be the way to go. be able to haul and move dirt with a dump . if your looking to just transport and that's all a goosneck will tow a little more than a reg hitch.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what your worrying about I would rather have too much truck than running borderline. No way in h*ll would I run a truck at max capacity all the time.

1) Your putting allot of stress on the truck
    2) If you ever get in a accident your done like yesterdays dinner
    3) Running a truck at max will ALWAYS cost you more money

Maybe you should get out of the excavation business if you are trying to cut corners already.

I think maybe you should have a few scares pulling a heavy load behind a regular 1 ton. People that cut in front of you and leave you no space and there is nothing you can do because the brakes are maxed right out.

What the manufactures say a truck can handle is far far different from what the truck actually can handle. Maybe in flat lander ville where the 3% grade scares the crap out of people a P/U truck can handle a trailer to what the manufacture rates the truck at. Where I'am ya not a chance you have to be atleast 1000lbs under the tow rating or more. All it takes is one trailer brake to fail decending a hill and your in for a wild ride.

A gooseneck can handle more weight because it puts the load on the truck better but you still lack the braking power. A heavy tounge weight on a P/U truck is the worst because you have so much leverage the front wheels loose traction and you loose the braking capacity because the front tires skid.

Stick with the 5500 you bought and quit worrying about things. If your so borderline making any profit you can't afford to run a 5500 get out of the business.

Anybody in the mini excavation business here that owns a machine bigger than 7000lbs owns a tandem axle dump.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats on the new 5500, A 1 ton would have hauled your equipment just fine, and legally gooseneck, pintle or bumper pull. GR is right in that you can never have too much truck, a 5500 will be able to handle the load better, and leaves room for additional weight if needed. To answer your question you really were mislead a 1 ton would have done fine. my 02 Dodge 2500 will tow 13500GTWR legally, but I have a limited margin for error on weight, hell if it rains I could be overweight; consequently I'm sure I have been overweight before. However my expense to operate my 2500 or a 3500 truck is lower than a new 4500/5500 would cost me. I ran a 3500 for a year 1/2, and hated it, so I went back to a 2500, love it. Personally I like the 2500's, and would skip the 1 tons no real gains in towing for the money, and go straight for the 4500 or 5500 for my next truck purchase.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Keep the 3/4 ton for running around and use the 5500 for work. In todays market its not worth fooling around because trying to save pennys can cost you thousands. Too many people on the roads nowwadays not paying attention. People leave their brains at home when they get into their car no offence to women but they are the worst.