1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New truck vs used truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schrock Lawns, Jan 14, 2013.

1. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How are you going to get a loan at the age of 14?

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's quite the delima right their.

3. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well my dad who owns the company till I'm 18 would get it and no I wouldent drive it
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I prolly wouldent driv it eether.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Do you really need a 3500? And when you say trade in your truck do you mean your dads?

6. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't need a 3500 a 2500 would work but I plan in the next few years to get a gooseneck and no he would keep his 1500 and we have a family SUV we would trade in
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My first truck, bought 8 years ago, is a 99 silverado 4x4 1/2 ton with 83k on it. Came with a western 7.5 ft plow. Paid 9k and used the truck full time for 6 years pulling a 7x16 enclosed in the summer and plowing winters in Erie PA. Now that truck is the primary plow truck and my 07 2500HD 4x4 is the plow back up. The 07 had 60k on it when I bought it for 19k, that is a savings around 11-13k.
    Other than regular maintenance, the 99 has probably cost about 500 dollars a year in repairs. This coming summer will be the 3rd for the 07 and so far no repairs needed. I expect keeping the 07 parked for as many winters as possible will add many more years than I get from the 99. I'm a big fan of buying quality used and running them as long as possible.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It's really a no brainer, with payments even at 0% interest it costs more.

So long I got the money to pay cash for it, I get what I can afford.

9. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

It's a crapshoot. I had a Chevy 2500 where the transmission died and the radiator also had to be replaced within a month of the warranty expiration. Dodged a bullet.

6 weeks later I'd have had a repair worth 60% of the value of the truck.

10. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

With my families business (not lawncare) we just traded a 08 2500 crew cab dmax Chevy with 172k in on a 13 3500 crew cab dmax for 25k to boot. We will run them until about 170-180k then trade them. Used low mileage pickups, IF you could find one were only about 5-8k less than a brand new one...no brainer for us anyways.