1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

NEW TRUCK w/surprise

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by STUMP JUMPER, Apr 19, 2001.

1. STUMP JUMPER

STUMP JUMPER LawnSite Member

Am feeling very lucky today! I recently puchased a 76' 3/4 ton chev pick-up from an individual who's wife was having a baby.

When I test drove it I was very impressed on how tight the motor and the whole truck in general was. I payed 2'500 for it and figured if something went wrong no biggie.

Today when I got home from work there was an envelope stuck in my door, it was all the reciepts from the truck and the service records from when he owned it.

The list of stuff he did was amazing. To make a long story short. The motor has 4,000 wrapped into it alone.

My question is; what would posses someone to sell a truck in this condition for so cheap? I have had zero problems with it and it leaks no fluid at all.

The Stump Jumper

2. Garet

Garet LawnSite Member

ago was all this work done to the truck?

3. STUMP JUMPER

STUMP JUMPER LawnSite Member

mid 2000 to late 2000

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"My question is; what would posses someone to sell a truck in this condition for so cheap? "

Probably they got tired of dumping money into a bottomless money pit. Chances are they know something else major is heading south so cut their losses while they could.

FWIW in my area 2500 for a 25 year old truck is no bargain.

5. 85w/350

85w/350 LawnSite Member

I hear ya I could still kick myself for coming across an 85 silverado 2wd original owner and 305 all reciepts perfect condition garage kept $1500 but i still dont complain about my 85 GMC Sierra Classic I now have with almost all reciepts parents knew the last owner and I am the fourth to own it...Two year old goodrich 350, the paints not perfect, but unique...still get offered 3500 on the spot for it and i pass it by round here because its probably worth 4500 or somethign around there still more than that of a 5yr old ford ranger ;) I guess on average a truck like the one you picked up here in south Louisiana would probably sell for close to twice what you paid for it even thoguh its a 76

6. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

You said it "Wife having baby"

7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I.ve noticed a lot of times when people dump a lot of money onto a truck they get fed up and think it will never end. Funny thing most get rid of them cheap just as the money pit factor ends! Good deal for some lucky people

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

you need a pile of money if your going to run a 25 year old truck regularly without being able to do 95% of the repairs yourself.Here shop labor runs from a low of $40 an hr to $75 an hr.Average is 55.So simple things will add up quickly.I have a few in laws that know squat about trucks-they buy an old junk truck for 1500 and think Im going to keep it running for them-as if I dont have enough to do already.I dont even buy 1500 dollar trucks,since they require constant wrenching most of the time.

9. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

John - agreed on the need to do most of your own repair work to keep an older unit running affordably.

Dan - I think one reason people sell them when the "money pit" phase is pretty much over is the fact that the project is essentially finished. The truck gets sold to make room for the next project.

In my case, my truck is also an "ongoing project" since I like to tinker, build & modify. Other than rebuild the transmission and transfer case/axles and do machining work on the engine, I can (and have!) handle just about any repair that needs doing. My truck had been "rode hard and put away wet" when I bought it, but over time just about every part on it has been repaired/rebuilt/modified - the "money pit" stage. Now it's mostly the routine ongoing maintenance and any changes I feel like making, such as installing a new winch last month.

No plans to sell though! ;)

So my opinion is, if you can handle & don't mind doing your own repair work there's nothing wrong with running an older truck. If that's not practical for whatever reason, you're probably better off with something new(er)

10. Garet

Garet LawnSite Member

These trucks are not really worth anything no matter how much money is poured into them. I mean you can't turn a Gremlin into a mercedes. A jacked up Chevy offroading glory truck might be worth some coin, but this is because it is wanted option. Just putting money in the engine does no good because it is a truck and since trucks aren't cars, they don't need fancy engines, they need a fancy suspension and running gear.