NEW TRUCK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Apr 30, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well I took the plunge the other day and went to my local Dodge dealer and leased a 2000 Ram 2500 with the diesel engine. Put over 100 miles on it so far and the fuel gauge has barely moved, that would have been half the tank on my Chevy! The 3/4 ton makes a huge difference pulling the trailer too, doesn't throw me around quite as bad. This is the first brand new vehicle I have ever owned so I hope it's a good one.<p>Homer

2. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

I only have 51 payments left on my 77 Datsun <br>Then I might trade up.<p>Those Dodges are getting real popular now aren't they

3. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

Homer, as far as the engine goes I think they are the best diesel engines that are put in to P/U trucks. I have 2 of them. The only thing I don't like are the brakes. My 98 has 27K miles and its been through 2 sets of pads and 1 new rotor. My 99 has 16K miles and it pulls to the right real bad so I guess it needs to go to the dealer for brakes. I would do it myself but the last time I did it on my 96 ram 2500 I had more problems, so becouse of that I will let the dealer fix them becouse if it still pulls after the brake job I can keep taking it back. Last time Dodge warranted and replaced everything in the brakes except for the pedal and lines and guess what it still pulls to the right. Any ideas? PS I had 38K miles and they still warranted everything. I was told a lot of the problems were fixed in 99. For you and me both I hope. so let me get off my soap box now. As for the rest of the truck, I am very happy.

4. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Gee Homer,New house..shop..and now truck..bizz.must be good or you won the lottery!! I own a 94 Dodge 2500 w/360 in it,I too had brake problem at first with the rear drums,dealer took care of it for me.since then only one set of front brakes,it may be time for the next set,89K on it now,I will look diesel next time that 360 loves the gas...Other than that I love the truck and would get another...seee yaaa and good luck with with the new truck.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The 2000 brake system and front suspension is completely different from the 94-99 trucks so I wouldn't worry about the brake problems some of the older trucks have. Very few parts will interchange, ex., dual piston calipers, different spindle ass'ys, on and on.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I used to have a 1990 Dodge ram deisel 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. I loved that truck. Pull anything. Traded it in for a much larger truck. Big mistake. I plan to buy another truck just like it soon

7. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

hey, i dont mean to rain on your parade. But, why would you LEASE a diesel, you can't put enough miles on it to save on fuel (lease milage restrictions) and you won't own it long enough to reap savings because of a diesel's durability. <p>My uncle has a 89 Jetta diesel, 6 years ago, the odometer broke at 169,000, he just drove it back to NJ from colorado. No major repairs, only glowplugs occasionally. They have a 98 Jetta TDI, 1.5 years old, 55k already, The new one gets 50+ mpg, the old one still gets 35 mpg, nice cars. I think my father is gonna buy a golf or jetta TDI soon.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well, business is O.K., the biggest reason for the trade was the amount of money I was burning up on gas! I was putting at least $70.00 every three days in the truck, not to mention the mowers, the Chevy was a little small for the weight I was pulling and plus the move outside of town was not helping. I leased this one so I hope I can get a little help come tax time next year. I'm really hopeing that the gain in the fuel mileage will offset the extra amount of the payment each month! I'm glad to hear the brake problem is fixed, don't want any problems, can't afford the down time.<p>Be good citizens, don't kill yourself!<p>Homer

9. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Congrads on the new truck!

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Homer, Congrads on the new truck. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>