NEW TRUCK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Apr 14, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

What is your rationale for buying a new truck? Is it simply a want, or a need?

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

for me it's a "want" as I have a 95 ram 4x4 V10 ...but I want a Diesel

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

With myself-its a little of both.I usually start looking well before I actually need a new truck-if i find the right one-and can get a great deal-I'll buy-if i wait to long-Ill ahve to pay top dollar,since.I wont have the timke to find the bargains,and I wont be able to walk away as easy from an otherwise good truck.I buy newer-since Ive never actually bought a brand new truck,when I feel my current truck is unreliable,and wont easily make it thru the season.The biggest thing with me is reliability,it must be stine reliable-so I dont want clunkers-but new isnt needed either.Im due to replace my 89 2500 this year,but its been so good to me,and is still tight,and dry underneath-I 'll be sad to see it go,when the time comes.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It was want and need. I had an 89 k2500 with 170,000 miles, its getting tired. I bought a 99 left over Mitisee short wb and put on a plat form dump. SO far so good!!

Gene

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My last truck was a need. I had about wore out my other 1985 Ford F250. I sold it to a friend and he is still driving it.

My next one is a want. It might be a need too, if this gas keeps going up. I noticed diesel hasn't gone up 1 cent while regular gas has gone up 38 cents in 2 weeks. After having a diesel JD and DC, I now would like a diesel truck too. I could kick my self for not getting one when I got the last one. :(

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Both. Have 2 kids and we travel alot, made no since to buy a new car and then a work truck, pay taxes on both, and so on... bought my truck and use it for both, it's great.

Why do you ask?

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I really want and somewhat need a newer truck, not necessarily brand new, but new (98 and newer). Nonetheless I am reluctant too purchase one, as I definately cannot muster up 15-20k for one. Thus I am a bit hesitant at making a 400 a month payment along with a 150-200 per month insurance payment. Maybe I will stay with the clunker for awhile longer.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

$200 a month insurance??? Have you been bad??

FWIW, I had a 96 Dodge Ram gas, bought my truck, I pay more monthly in truck payments but I save the exact same amount in fuel cost! If you have a gas engine what MPG are you getting, consider the difference in fuel cost savings v/s payments. If you don't drive much then the savings will not compensate for the higher payment, if you drive like me however I save $120 a month with the newer diesel with better fuel economy and cheaper fuel cost.

Ray

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wish my payment was only $400.00 a month!

I bought my truck new, well I leased it hoping to get a break on taxes, but I wanted a diesel this time for the mileage. I've been happy with mine and yes, I have to agree with Kirby as far as the difference in payment vs. mileage I think it's a wash.

My insurance is 93.00 a month for full coverage on the new Dodge and liability on my 84 Silverado.

10. dhicks

dhicks Member

I bought a Chevy HD 2500 back in December. Did I need it, NO. Did I want it, yes. Now I want a Super Lawn Truck or a Isuzu 12' stake body diesel.