New truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Aug 14, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I think my truck finally took a sh** on me. Just today I was driving down the highway and as I'm crusing at 60mph, the tranny started to slip as I'm going. The engine was maintaining its rpms fine, but it just felt like the transmission would slip every so often. I drove about 20 minutes one way on the highway, it only acted up twice. On the drive home, it acted up twice again. Just before I turned onto the road to head back to my house, the transmission continusly felt like it was slipping. So I drove it straight to my mechanic's shop to drop it off. About 2 miles from my mechanic's shop the truck drove like crap. It pretty much felt like I took it out of gear and put it back into gear several times. I think that if I drove it any longer, the transmission wouldn't even engage.

My truck is just not very reliable and I will not be spending the money on a new transmission. So I started searching online for my new truck. Its between a duramax and a cummins.

Any thoughts on either of these trucks. Both trucks will be 04 and newer, extended cabs or crews and 4x4's. I really like the dmax's but I'm open to all opinions on the DURAMAX and CUMMINS.

I need opinions fast, if my truck comes back with report I'm expecting, I will need a new truck SOON!!

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

No worries with the Dodge trannies after 04. 48RE was one tough ass tranny..

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

get a dmax.

my personal opinion is that you get a better truck wrapped around a great motor rather than a lesser truck wrapped around a great motor.

4. -Dalton-

-Dalton- LawnSite Member

cant go wrong with an 06+ duramax (lbz). 6 speed allison. some 06s were llys but they are the same engine as the lbz with a different tune.

5. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Of the two- D-Max/Allison combo.

Newer Dodge trucks suck. Period. The transmissions are crap, the interior's crap and the build overall is crap.

6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Gm's will be the better bet. They have a much nicer fit and finish!!

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have been leaning toward that dmax/allison combo the most but I will consider the dodge cummins. The truck, if it is a dmax, will definately be an LLY...I just can't afford the LBZ's (as much as I would like one).

I haven't really looked at the dodges in person much, so I don't know much about their actual quality. I've heard their trannies are pretty good in the 04 and newer ones.

I looked into just replacing the tranny on my current truck, but thats going to cost me probably $2500 +/-. I'll see what my mechanics say tomorrow. But I just don't think I can keep putting money into my truck when it seems to just break down pretty consistantly. I've been having at least one large repair every year. I can't justify spending $3000+ a year on just repairs alone.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

the transmissions are not crap past like 02..

After 04, there have been no more problems than Ford or Chevy has had with trannies..

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Every truck has pros and cons. Get what you truely want and be done with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

i had a jeep do that. just a computer.