New TTHP Hesitation

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Clay, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

My new 36" TTHP has 35 hours on it and has had a little quirk that I was hoping would go away with some use but has not...

Keep in mind that my dealer is new to Exmark and this is the first and only Exmark they have sold.... Until the mower has been used for a while (time varies) the left controller does not want to move forward smoothly like the right, thereby creating a condition very difficult to control... When you let out the left (ecs) control to move forward it will remain stationary for a second or two and then SLOWLY engage forward.... After say 10 minutes or so this problem will disappear and work normally until it rests and fire up the next yard... (I find myself putting a finger or two behind the handle and pushing to help it extend)

Although we have tried adjustments to alleviate with no avail... and because it works fine after good and warm the dealer believes it is due to a faulty (thruster plate) in the hydro pump...

Does that sound like the probable cause or do you suggest looking elswhere??? Other than this quirk the machine is great and would much appreciate your suggestions...

Thanks, Clay

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Clay,

On a new machine I'd be suprised if there was a problem with the pump. I'd start by looking at the linkages. You may also want to have the dealer loosen pump mounting bolts on the side that is hanging up. Once in a great while you can get a pump that is misaligned which can cause the pump control arm to bind a little bid. Grease the flange bearing on the outboard side of the control arm as well.

You may also want to have them disconnect the linkage at the pump control arm to determine if the linkage is binding anywhere. The last thing I would look at is the pump. It's possible to have a cradle bearing that is bad in one side but I'd be suprised if that is the case on a new machine.

Does the lever hang up when the unit off or only when running?

Thanks

Terry

3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks for the respose Terry... I will copy this for the dealer and let him take a closer look....

I will double check the movement while in the off position, but I believe that it only does this while running... And because it gets smooth on its own after a while, I have come to feel that it would not be in the adjustments, but I hope so... Don't really care what it is as long as it start driving smoothly :) Makes it rather tricky to do the outside edges with a machine that has a mind of its own... lol...

Will let you know... Clay

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Clay,

The symptoms are a little strange. Generally if there is a problem in the pump I believe it would get worse the longer you ran it. If the problem is in the linkage it will usually occur with the machine on or off but often gets better the longer you use it.

You can also have the dealer give our tech support staff a call or his distributor tech a call as well. I'm sure we can get a handle on this one fairly quick.

Thanks

Terry