1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New turbo force spindle bites the dust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Scapes, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed my new z master leaving a little wave in the cut This past weekend when I did our house if I cut below 3" (some centipiede customers want 2.5 ) so I pulled the machine on the cement and measured the deck and it was level. Measured the blades to ground it was fine. Checked tire pressure all ok. Pop the belt covers off and look around and grabbed the left spindle and can move it nearly half an inch up and down. When I cut higher (finished my lawn at 3.25) if seemed ok. Took it to my dealer he said its ok to cut with and I will order you a new spindle assembly under warranty. Well he forgot to order it so he had it overnighted yesterday and promises it will be in today and he will put it on first thing in the morning. Starting to vibe a bit too.

63 hours on it now. Kinda worried that it already had probs. Anyone have this prob? Toro guys grab your spindles and pull up and down and see if there is any play. Only 1 of the 3 spindles do that.
  2. Pro-Scapes

He dropped the ball again and didnt over night it. He is supposed to bring me his personal machine in the morning.
  3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just started my new Z Master today. Got it last week, put 5 hours on it today. I have always had Toros, with minimal problems. This Z replaces a 1998 Z 222. I will watch the spindles now that you mentioned it.
  4. Pro-Scapes

I think its just a casting defect. He was about to tear it apart this afternoon and see whats up
  5. Pro-Scapes

Got it back today. The spacer on the spindle was too long and not letting the thrust washer or whatever ride all the way seated like it should of been. Took about 1/4" off the spacer and then cleaned the edge of it and all is well it seems... Seems to have a bit of vibration still so he is going to get a complete new assembly for me under warranty... housing and spindle and bearings.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

hmm. Sounds like a defect. He should be giving you the all new spindle, housing and bearings.

Toro didn't put a clutch spacer on my machine from the factory. I noticed to problem at 80 hours and took it in. I got a new clutch spacer and new clutch for free (nothing was wrong w/ the clutch itself).
  7. Pro-Scapes

yeah he is getting me the whole thing. Hope it cures the vibes because when i first got it it seemed smooth as silk even with the blades on.
  8. Pro-Scapes

well lets bring this thread back from the dead. I have loved my zmaster and its been cutting exceptionally well.

Its always seemed to have some minor deck vibes but never enough to worry about. I took it in to the dealer a few times and he said all was fine it was just a loose belt. Tightened the belt some all seemed good again.

Yesterday vibration got really bad...The outer spindles both can go up and down when pulled on about .210" acording to my dial indicator. Unacceptable to me by a long shot.

The center spindle is completly trashed. Dealer doesnt have new spindles in stock but promised me he could repair the machine by 10am so I can finish our routes. When the center spindle went out it gouged the turf and took out a sprinkler thats how bad it went. Dont know how he plans to repair this but with only 136 hours on it I think an Email to toro is in order.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Jesus man, sounds like a lemon. Sorry to hear about your troubles, maybe the dealer overtightened the belts?
  10. Pro-Scapes

Just got off the phone with toro. They want me to call back tmrw and they will see about either getting me 3 new spindle assemblies or possibly even a new machine. Im really irked about all this now. Lets hope they got good customer service. Simply grinding down a spacer to take up some play aint what i tought was exactly a quality repair the last time but it seemed to work find.

I hope they dont try and claim I hit something