new turf tiger motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Oct 5, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

does anybody have any experience with the 29 hp fuel injected motor available on the new turf tigers......i was curious what you thought of them, and how they faired over the 27 hp liquid cooled kawi?

2. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

we picked one up back in the spring, 29DFI LC Kaw, 61" Tiger. its the same engine as the 27hp Kaw, only fuel injected. they are getting the extra 2hp from the fuel injection. it doesnt drink as much gas as our 27s do and it has a 3mph faster ground speed. the 29hp also comes w/ newer 16cc hydro pumps, up from 12 on the 27s.

like i said we picked it up brand new in the late Spring/Early Summer this year and it just turned 350hrs.

BTW, the 23, 27, and 29hp LC Kaw engines are all internally identical. the bore, stroke, displacement is all the same. they get the extra HP from the carb/fuel injection setup.

this 29hp machine is our 5th Tiger i think, we love them.

3. mdb landscaping

thanks for the info lawnsmith.....that was just the info i was looking to get. We currently have two 25 hp kohler tigers and one with the 27 hp kawi, and are looking to upgrade. i was just curious about the gains of the new motor. thanks for your help.

4. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

It's worth the extra money.. I demoed the turf tiger with the 29 liquid fuel injected.. And AWESOME.

I usually us about 7 gallons of gas on thrusday when cutting 26 properties and with the 25 kOhler on my Dixie.

The turf tiger only used 3 1/2 gallons that day...

AWESOME

5. LawnSmith

glad we could help.

i meant to add in the first post that the fuel economy is more noticable than the extra 2hp. the newer 16cc pumps take a little more to run but in no way shape or form is it down on power or less than the 27.

6. mdb landscaping

well....only time will tell how we like it. getting a 60 inch turf tiger with the 29 hp fuel injected motor and the spindle driven bagger. thanks for the replies.

7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

You'll like the bagger unit also... But let us know how u like it..

8. LawnSmith

clamshell or rear triple bagger?

either one is a sweet setup. the clamshell doesnt have quite as much capacity 12 bushels vs. 16 bushels for the triple bagger. but, w/ the clamshell you dont even have to get off the machine to dump materials. it makes up for the lack of capacity w/ speed of unloading. another plus, the clamshell and triple bagger use the same spindle mounted motor, mounting hardware, and suction tube. you can switch out baggers if you ever wanted to.

also, the closest competitor w/ a "clamshell" type design bagger would Hustler and theirs is only 9 bushels.

9. mdb landscaping

the 3 bag model.