New Turf Tiger - Which Engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pblc, Jan 30, 2012.

1. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

We are looking at picking up a couple new Turf Tigers. In the past we have been running the 29 Kawaski DFI. I've been looking at the Kohler 31 EFI model. Does anyone have any experience with these on the Scag mowers?

Dealer says they're $500 less than the 29 Kawaski - and they're 2 hp higher - so I've thought about giving them a go.....

Thanks. :usflag:

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm just curious to know why you would choose the turf tiger over the cheetah? i looked at my dealer and the turf tiger with 27hp kohler is about the same price as a cheetah with a 34hp kohler. cheetah goes 16mph/turf tiger goes 12mph, cheetah holds 15gallons of gas/turf tiger holds 10gallons, cheetah has suspension platform/turf tiger has suspension seat. to me i'd choose the cheetah. i don't see any reason to choose the turf tiger over the cheetah.

3. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

The Turf Tiger is a larger mower that we like better than smaller framed mowers. Also, only the Turf Tiger models have the fuel injected engines available - which are much more fuel efficient.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

fair enough. i've never had a dfi or efi engine so i'm not sure which is better.

5. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely no need for a mower to go 16mph. Not cutting grass at that speed either, not well at least.

We have 3 identical Scag turf tigers with the 35hp briggs big block. Great maintenance free engines. Lots of power, not sure how much more than the other engines though. Sucks down fuel pretty good but not terribly more than others. I will be looking into other engines when I replace these 3 this year though.

6. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

Also, you can't cut at 16mph - correction, you cant cut well - and a 10 gallon tank (as in the Tiger) will last us all day - so any extra is extra weight to lug around all day.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's funny how when i state facts people start flaming me for it. :dizzy: i never said cut the grass at 16mph. most of the time you wouldn't but if something came up where you had a smooth, flat lawn without thick growth you would be able to cut it faster on the cheetah. the extra is there just in case you need it so why not have it if you can get it at the same price?

i have an 11.5 gallon tank on my mower. i can go for 3 days before i have to fill it up again. i think that's kindof nice. it saves time not having to stop by the gas station every day.

8. canes2win

canes2win LawnSite Member
    from PA

i ask the scag dealer on why the speed is so fast.... because i thought the same, 16 MPH is crazy, but he was telling me that the answer he got was scag was going for the landscapers that have a few accounts in the same area, and instead of putting the mower on the trailer, that they could just run the mower on the road and get there faster than loading and unloading.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's mostly for transport speed but if you were on a smooth yard and only cutting off a few inches you could go 16mph and cut it just as good. super z and dixie chopper have been going 15mph for many years now. it's not anything new.

10. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

new Scag catalog doesn't show the Kohler 31EFI listed anymore. I wonder why? I was curious as to potentially picking up that model this year if this pan out account wise.