new turf tracer HP discharge width

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Mar 29, 2005.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Okay , I have done my first two lawns with my new eXmark Turf tracer HP 48". This thing really discharges far. without putting on a mulch kit, what else do you guys that have the turf tracer do to shorten the throw of the grass. Gators helped on my older eXmark- made the clippings smaller- less to throw. I will try them again. Also if I throttle down to lower RPMs, will this hurt the wheel motors? This is one way to keep the grass from going 15 feet out. I live in cool season zone, so I wonder if the option of the mulch kit is even viable.
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ordered an EZchute for my TTHP. Mulch kits are great, but no way am I going to try that during spring around here. It'd leave a bleeding mess under the deck.

There are other chute blockers around, this is only one such product.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This may be a stupid question, but is the deflector down??
  4. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have been told that the 15 hp Kawi on my walkbehind should be operated at full throttle at all times except for warm-up and cool-down to keep the airflow going for engine cooling. You may want to be careful about running it slower for an extended time. Any other comments on this?
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I run TTHP's, 48" 17hp Kawi's, both with mulch kits, all year round with very little problems. I was using an Ez chute but it kept leaving winrows so I switched to the factory mulch kits and blades and so far so good.
  6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

My friend made the opening bigger by cutting off an inch of the deck. Discharged with less force seemed to cut the same.
  7. lawnworker

Nope, that does make it blow farther though
  8. lawnworker

I am not to sure if lush fertilized cool season grass and mulch kits go together. Florida grass is a lot different then Virginia grass..
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

On the scag turftiger I had my baffles 3/4 open and it would throw 2 and a half rows time for me to get and e-z chute
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not that I doubt the comments about windrows, but that's less hassle than blowing clippings out of shrub and flower beds. Lesser of two evils and all that nonsense.

As for the grasses in Fla versus those in Va: I've mowed both and it really does seem to me that the Bahia, Bermuda and St. Augustine grasses in the Sunshine State were less likely to cling to mowing decks than the fescues that populate the lawns up here in VA.