new twist in partnership

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking about this aloud to myself and I thought that it would be a good idea to those that are thinking about going into a partnership with a business.

Why not split services being offered and you both own a seperate business yet provide each other with your services.

For example:
    Guy #1 could own lawn care & snow removal
    Guy #2 could own fertilization, aeration, landscaping maintenance

Both of them then sub-contract the other work out to each other for they are still kind of in a partnership, but not really. Both still have ownership of their own business. So if there is any type of conflict, the other could just move on and not worry about splitting up the business.
    This also could cut down spreading yourself to thin in areas where you are not educated in and also spending extra money on equipment that you would hardly use.

What is everybodys opinions on this?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Think I'd still vote for no partnership.
    No matter how good intentions were in setting up the game plan, things would just never work out.

Work load would never equal out 50/50. No snow, very little snow, drought conditions, wet and wild growing seasons.
    Landscaping projects could be few and far between, or a few monster really good paying jobs could set it up for the whole season.

Don't see 50/50 being a realistic division of equipment expenditures. Insurance rates per division aren't going to be 50/50.

JMO

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its like you said all your doing is subbing out the work to each other. But why not just awnser the phone as aaa & xxx co. and that way you already know who's getting the work as everything was going to be kept seperate anyway?

Mac

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

but since you asked, I think you have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Let the in-fighting begin. :rolleyes:

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Tiedman, there was an article in one of the trade magazines a while back (sorry, can't remember which one or when) that profiled 3 guys that were doing pretty much what you're talking about.
    It was 3 seperate companies, owned by different guys, but they had an arrangement where they all worked together on clients properties.

Maybe someone else can remember where to find the article.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that when the trade magazines do a profile on a large million dollar (or multi million) company, they are OFTEN owned by partners?? Everytime I see that, I wonder how they are making it work, and yet everyone here says don't do it.

6. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

I think the article that you are refering to was in Lawn and Landscape. I would search there search there archives. Ithink it was sometime last spring.
    Good Luck.
    Mike

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but after searching thier archives, this is the only thing I could come up with. Might still be helpful:

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news/news.asp?ID=1542&AdKeyword=co-op

Wish I could find that one I was originally talking about. If it was in L&L, I sure couldn't find it in their archives. Might have been a different magazine.