New type of all-in-one units

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3sons, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 3sons

3sons LawnSite Member

Anyone ever use one of the new all-in-one Ryobi units. My son thinks it is a good deal, but I am skeptical. There are attachments that do tilling, weed eating, edging, etc. Is much lower cost, but also may be lower quality. Any suggestions/experiences?
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're talking about the trimmer/tiller/blower/edger unit, I can relate my experience with a split-boom Deere trimmer.

I picked up the edger attachment, but it's a phenomenal pain in the backside to loosen the screws, pull off the trimmer part, insert the edger part, tighten down and go. Why?

Because the parts just didn't fit well. It was like wrestling with a cross between a python and a terrorist to get the da**ed thing back together, and as an edgerstick, the balance was horrid.

I now have a dedicated edgerstick and use the Deere unit strictly for trimming. Not even thinking about ever going down that road again.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My stihl split shaft is perfect for starters. I mainly use the weedeater, and only every 3-4 weeks use the edger attachment to maintain the edge. It is not a pain to loosen the screw. All it is, is one thumb screw....It fits in nicely...

All in all it gets an 8 out of 10 from me.

4. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Hey Trevor and Mark,

What did you guys pay for your split booms? I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am not sure. I know it was a bit cheaper than going with a seperate edger, and eater. It was like 279 for the power head and 150 for the eater and 150 for the edger....I am not sure. i got just a bit off what the MSRP is from Stihl. I am happy with mine. I am going to get a seperate weed eater though...just because i have grown so much unexpectedly the past month or two...The split shaft will become the back up.

6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I know, ryobi products are not really high quality. But, that's what I have heard.
  7. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I have had a Ryobi split shaft with the tiller and the edger. After about 7 years of home use, my power unit needs some work. The balance is not the best with the other heads on, but I wasn't tilling or edging for hours so I didn't care. I do miss the ability to change attachments now.
  8. John Smith

John Smith LawnSite Member

I have a ryobi 825r 4-cycle and love it .ya its heavy. but it just keeps on going .I used it 3yrs part time and am still using it full time this year .I have the tiller attachment and it works good for small beds. the blower works good but cant compare to a back pack. i tried the edger . i went about 10 ft and put it back in the box and took it back to the store
  9. jalawn

jalawn LawnSite Member

Have you guys thought about the echo's? They are good units; weighted good, quick to attach different heads.
  10. 3sons

3sons LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for your replies!!!