New under cap lights for walls

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by John Zaprala, Jan 10, 2007.

1. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I started using this newer, easier fixture. They mount on top of the block and under the cap for a clean and easy install. They have a screw on plate which comes powder coated in different colors for $70 for the whole fixture and I believe $80 for copper, brass plates. The wires go right in the small groove between blocks and provides an alternative to cutting out holes for fixtures.
    Integral-Lighting

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

good idea but leaves a little bit of a hot spot for my taste from what it looks like.

Do they spread out like a deck light would or other surface mounted light ?

3. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

They spread out yes. The pics on the site aren't that great especially since the one is daylight. It definately has a hot spot, but I usually use them on small 36-48" walls every 8-10' apart. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the lights in action, but it's another option. The first time I used these lights was in a pool job that already had the wall built and they wanted me to put in lights. They said the company that built the wall wanted $120 a fixture w/ installation for a focus half moon light which by me costs $30. So they passed. But I told them for me to put them in now I have to dig out behind the wall and drill for wires to install them and couldn't really give them a good price for the amount of lights they wanted. Then with these lights I chiseled up the caps, installed the transformer and lights and reglued the caps.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Not only do they leave a hot spot of light, but the lamp is exposed and is extremely hot to the touch. The idea is great and makes installation very convenient, but they need to protect the lamp from prying fingers or maybe go to a cooler burning, LED.

John, are you buying them directly from Integrity?

Kirk

5. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Hadco line lyte series...very smooth even light under caps like this.

6. Dreams To Designs

I do not see anything in the Hadco line that resembles the Integrity fixture. Which model are you referring to? They all seem to be surface mount style fixtures.

Kirk

7. NiteTymeIlluminations

Yes they are surface mount fixtures. You do have to mount them under the cap. We could propose to Lew Waltz that he includes one in the line that has a bracket to go in between the cap and the blocks...it seems very easy to do. I was just mentioning it for the guys that thought the integral was too hot.

8. Dreams To Designs

I was hoping someone else had come up with a fixture to not be seen but offer a subtle lighting effect like the integrity. The Hadcos look very durable and similar to most other brands of deck style lights, but I do like the assorted variety they offer. No if we can just convince the lighting manufacturers and installers good lighting should be illuminating without having to see the fixtures.

Kirk

9. NiteTymeIlluminations

preaching to the choir!!!

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, it's all about Making Money. That's bright GREEN. My customers love this stuff. All these products are great. The light you are talking about is Integral lighting. It is a specialty light for the Hardscaping people, where as again, as with the Evening Star Paverlights, they provide a durable accent light for a construction industry that has none. There have been other lighting options available, but they don't hold up or are simply too complicated to install. Is anyone going to the MAHTS show in A/C? Both companies will be exhbiting. CAST will be there too.