New User

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jake2000n, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jake2000n

jake2000n LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I just found out about this forum. This summer I was thinking of going into a little business seeing as I am only 12. WOuld it be fine only having a trimmer and lawnmower just for a little business or is there something I am forgetting.?
  2. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man! Welcome to Lawnsite! I am 15 and I started cutting grass as a biz two years ago. I think all you need right now would be a decent push mower, a decent weed eater and a leaf-blower (gas-powered if ya don't want to drag a cord around) or a broom if you want to save money. Sears could get yourself outfitted for about $500. Now being 12 I know that sounds like alot of money, so try to get about 5-6 yards lined up so that you can pay for your equiptment quickly. Then when it is all paid for, you can start making gravy-money (money that you get to keep) w/ the exception of gasoline and oil. Try to get yards that are close to where you live so that you can just cary your stuff from yard to yard (or have your dad drive you to jobs after work or on saturdays). Look nice, don't wear your hat backwards, be polite, and you'll go real far.

Let us know how things go for ya!

If you want a leaf-blower, I've got a little featherlite that I'll sell ya for $30. Just pay shipping. I used it for 1 season.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

even at 12 if you can talk your parents into spotting you $500 for a decent walk behind mower wether its a 36" or 48" its worth its weight in gold. they are so much more effient adn you can do much more work in a day. if you get 5 lawns @ $25 a lawn, (which is underpriced), one month youd make $500/month after you paid off the mower, and you can get them all done in a day
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

he isnt big enough to run a commercial machine, no offense but he is a little kid......and it is probably illegal.......i dont know about ontario , but in many states you cant operate power equipmet until the age of 16.....

get a little hand held blower to blow the clipping of the diveway and sidewalks , and never blow the grass in the street..Good Luck youll be fine with a gas trimmer and 21 inch mower
  5. Jay'slawnservice

Jay'slawnservice LawnSite Member

Hey whats goin' on man? I'm 15 also and I started the same way with all sears equipment a couple of years back. Good luck with your business and the accounts and definatly listen to the advice that most people tell you on this site
  6. jake2000n

jake2000n LawnSite Member

Hey guys, it might be illegal but at my grampas house I have to spend like 5 hours on a John Deere 34hp mowing the HUGE lawn.
  7. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

34hp JD huh? What kind of engine does it have? Kawi? Kohler? Briggs?
  8. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

lol I was cutting yards in my neighborhood when i was 12 with my 44" Yard machines riding mower that i still use today.... but when i turned 16 i quit doing it for awhile and now im 20 and i want to get back into it :\ not having much luck so far..... hopefully spring will be different
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome aboard, Jake. Sit back, be ready to read and learn.
  10. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Jake..Good luck to you. I think it is cool that you have the initiative to do what you are doing. Get yourself a blower. I would try to get a good back-pack one for around $300. You don't have to go out and buy the best but I personally think a good blower is crucial and a lot easier on you than a hand-held. Again, good luck. There is a lot of good information on here.