New version of the forum software

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by LSAdmin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

Hi there,

I just upgraded vBulletin, the software that powers LawnSite, from version 3.0.8 to version 3.5.0. This new version comes with several new features. Most of them will make the forum admins/moderators' job easier, but a few others may be helpful for users, for example:

-> Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX
    -> Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by user via AJAX

AJAX is a technology that allows the browser to retrieve content from the server without having to reload a page, which makes it easier to write dynamic applications. It is currently used by Gmail and Google Maps, for example.

I have yet to complete the upgrade of the manufacturer sponsored forums to the new version of the software, but they should still work without problems until I complete that.

Please let me know if you find a bug or a missing feature anywhere on the site so that I can fix that. Thanks!

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

simple english please!

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be nice you changed the setting so we would see the word Online or Offline for members when we read posts instead of those colored dots by our names.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Why? Colored dots do the same thing....

Plsoucy, thanks for the upgrade. I used to run a vbulletin board, and I know how hard it is to keep a modded board stable :)

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why you ask. Well my full-time job is to write programs for business systems and during the analysis phase of what users want they always say make the system as simple as possible to use without the need for interpreting what is on a screen (i.e. learn that in System Development 101). Plain English 'Online' or 'Offline' is a lot simple than interpreting what dots mean.

So colored dots do the same but not as easy to understand as 'Offline' or "Online'. I assume it is as simple as changing a option setting.

6. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I noticed recently that clicking on an image link now opens it in a new window, didn't used to be that way. Doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other, but I did notice the change.

Could you add some more choices to the 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' option in the User CP? Right now it tops out at 40. Some of the other forums I read that use vBulletin let you choose up to 100 per page.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

plsoucy,Thank's!for your hard work.
    I like the new features and how they make posts easier for editing.It helps a lot!

8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Pierre does fantastic work! He is a big reason LawnSite is here for all of us.

9. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

Thanks for your comments!

I prefer not to put the limit too high, because when there are more posts per page, it takes more resources for the server to generate and show that page. This is especially true for threads with lots of pictures (like the Calendar Girls thread), and I wouldn't want a few people loading 100-post pages to slow down the server.

Also, letting you view 100 posts per page would reduce the number of pageviews, and pageviews = adviews = what pays for the site and keeps it free. I therefore believe that 40 posts is a good number to stay at.

I appreciate your suggestion and understand your point, but I believe that using icons allows for a cleaner, less-loaded interface, and colours allow for quick visual recognition of a user's online status once you know them. Also, when you put your mouse over the colored dot, you will see some status text like "plsoucy is online", which explains the meaning of the icon. I therefore prefer to stay with icons instead of switching to full text online status display.

What part of my message did you find unclear? Please let me know so that I can clarify things for you. Thanks!

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What part of my message did you find unclear? Please let me know so that I can clarify things for you. Thanks!

Pierre, thers nothing you can do to clarify things for me :D