new versus used

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sinkum, Sep 15, 2005.

1. sinkum

sinkum LawnSite Member

I have been looking on ebay to buy used equipment. I found a 2004 60 in hustler 24 hp Honda. 20 hrs on mower. when biding was done it went for $6990. this was in Ohio. I checked another item on eBay and I asked if he had any hustlers new or used. (he was a jd dealership) he says he has a 60 in hustler 24hp Honda 2005 he will sell for $6199. its also in Ohio. I can get the same thing in Indiana for about $7000 after taxes.
    my question is are these things priced that different in other states that someone would think a used hustler is worth $6990? I can get a new one with full warranty for that price.

2. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

if your that close, i would buy new. you get a warranty and you know how its beentreated.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Get the new one. Then you may be able to get deals on any accessories that you want. I managed to get half off of most of my accessories for my eXmark by buying new. Don't know how it is where you are or how your dealer is. Just my 2 cents.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the difference is the ebay unit was a Super Z (or high bidder thought it was) and the units you are looking at are not. A new Super Z costs over $8K plus tax to buy new here.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Or the bidders had no idea what the new price was. It happens all the time.

6. sinkum

sinkum LawnSite Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7710475800&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEDW:IT&rd=1

this is the link but i dont think it worked. i dont know how to post pictures yet. but it says hustler z on the side of mower. i think the super z's say just that on the side. i guess you guys must be right about not knowing the right price but that sure sucks for me trying to get a good deal. i like hustler and thought i could save some tax money buy buying fairly new used equipment. i dont want to buy from an lco that beat the heck out of it and wants to get rid of it.
    i'll keep looking though
    thanks

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My experience with prices on Ebay is they're always a bit high for what it's worth, I can usually find used equipment LOCAL to me cheaper than Ebay the only difference is that ebay ALWAYS has one where it can be hard to find something local. Still, I'm not so turned on by ebay for used equipment, I would use it if I HAD to, the other reason being is it usually involves a roadtrip of several hundred miles and what IF when you get there you realize the equipment is a POS, I like it much better when I can look (and touch) something before I pay my money.
    Not to say I don't recommend Ebay, but for Lco stuff, everyone swarms the place so the prices are just not competitive in a bidding environment.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What topsites says is true about Ebay. I too gave up on them a long time ago when I was looking for used equipment. I too like to see what I'm buying first hand. So I probably would have never even tried.... But the used equipment market sucks in my area too.

Most dealers do not cut many trade-in deals unless someone let them steal something. Private sellers usually have either beat down stuff, or nearly new stuff that they want nearly new price or payoff for, even though the warranty is not transferable, ect. So I too tried Ebay. I watched it forever and never did really find a deal on anything that was anywhere near me.

sinkum, my suggestion to you is if it's a Hustler you want, then go talk to Pj (mowerconsultant) and see if he can help you locate a demo unit. Used price, full warranty... and usually they start getting motivated to move them this time of year.

Good luck and tell Pj I sent you... :)

9. sinkum

sinkum LawnSite Member

topsites, i think you are absolutely right about ebay. that was a 10 day auction that i bid for $5000 and i had to wait until it was over. so i couldnt buy anything because there was a chance i would win. it was also about 165 miles away from me too. i know they cant make me pay. but i stick to my word so i had to wait. wont bid again until last minutes a bidding.
    also, i had so many emails from scammers trying to get me to western union them $4000 for the same mower that sold for $6960. they were in UK. like i would fall for that.
    thanks

10. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If you really want a Hustler, just go to any John Deer dealer. There is one in Greenfield and one in Fishers. This time of year they should be willing to deal on price and sometimes have used equipment if you wanted to go that route. Personally, I'd buy SCAG...but that's just my opinion. :blob3: