1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New vs Old Ferris controls

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FerrisDJB, Aug 31, 2010.

1. FerrisDJB

FerrisDJB LawnSite Member

I've got a DD 52 Ferris WB 2007 model. I was wondering if anyone has tried to reto fit the new thumb controls that appear on present Ferris Comfort Control DD WalkBehinds to the old Dual Drive Ferris walkbehinds. I sort of need or would like these controls to aid in climbing very steep hils, straight up. Most of the time I really have to push the joy stick fairly far forward and then push down on the control handles to get her to move up the hill. I was hoping these thumb controls would help in easing into hills. Soooo....anybody retro-fit these thumb controls to older Ferris's?

2. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

One of our DD's was having a tough time climbing hills, turned out the hydro belt was loose.

3. FerrisDJB

FerrisDJB LawnSite Member

Thanks Shasta, I'l try the belt and see what that does. She will run flats great, turn (y-turn) on the hills but stall-out, tranny wize, on hills going straight up and down. I have to lightly push down on the controls levers to get her to start her climb. Now that seems like a no-brainer, but try this going up a very steep hill and you wind-up fighting the machine all the way to the top. My single 36 does hills ALOT better than the DDS52, but the cutting time is becoming a huge factor as I get older. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks