1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new vs. old

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spence, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Spence

Spence LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there is much difference between the super flow system(sfs) decks that toro manufactures on the newer model walkbehinds and the regular proline decks on older models. I' m wanting to get rid of a 36" sfs toro walkbehind and a guy I know wants to trade me a 44" toro for it that is in real good shape. But I wanted to know if there would be any difference in the quality of cut with the 44" that is not a sfs deck compared to the 36" that is an sfs deck. :confused: Thanks for the replies.
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

toro makes sfs deck for 32,36,37,44,52,62,72 inch decks. the 44 you would be getting is a sfs floating deck. the only fixed decks are realy exmark metros in 32,36,48 inch sizes. the newer sfs decks do not have much offset on the left side like the older 44, 52 and 62inch walkbehinds. they also have vertical pin height adjusments as apose to thehorizontal pull out pin. the 44 inch has only 2 blades and the 36 sfs has 3 blades. the 44's are very popular around here and i am purchasing one mid of next month. there shouldnt be a difference in cut with the 44 over the 36.
  3. Ummmm ever heard of sales gimmick?
  4. Back in 1991 they were "Wind-Tunnel" housing.

The dies have not changed. The deck that is stamped out today is the same as it was in 1987. That is if the machine is a true Toro vs. an rebaged eXmark with a t-bar.
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

lawngodfather who was the sales gimmick comment aimed at?
  6. Anyone who didn't know it was a sales gimmick.

They named the design some years ago, and used the name to generate more sales.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

This is true. The only difference with the newer decks it that they weld a plate on the front of the deck for extra weight and call it a "bullnose" bumper. Underneath, the decks are identical - like Stone & LGF said. I think they all cut great.