New vs. slightly used

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TerraFirma Excavating, Dec 21, 2005.

1. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I stopped at the Cat dealer to check out MTL to purchase before the end of the year. He has a new 277B with the MA9 package (heated cab/cold weather equipped) and 78" bucket for an asking price of $53,000.

He also has a new 257B with the MA9 package with an 66" bucket for $41,300. A slightly used 257B with about 260 hours equipped the same for $37,500. Is the $3,800 savings worth considering the used machine.

I am going to look over the numbers and call my accountant today to check on tax benefits of new vs. used. I would like the 277, but don't know if I can justify the addition $11,700 right now.

If I were to spend that much right now, I'd probably spend a little more and get the A/C and high flow machine. Too bad they don't have one equipped like that right now.

P.S. Cat financial is closed all of next week for the holidays. If you were considering using them to purchase a new machine before the end of the year, you have to do it before Friday.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$3,000 off on a machine with 260 hours is nothing. If they had it marked down at least $5K, if not $6K I'd probably consider it. 260 hours doesn't sound like much and it isn't, but you're still taking a gamble on a used machine and for that little of incentive to buy used, I'd buy a brand new machine. I've seen 40 hour machines marked down twice as much as that so that isn't a bargain on a 257 by any means.
  3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

TF, are you going the Yellow way, then, for the next purchase? No T300/T250?
  4. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

You also have to weigh financing options, you are probably going to get a better rate buying new vs. old which could make up that difference
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I paid about 37,500 for my new 257B with cab and heat....0% interest for 4 years:)
  6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy machines with about 1500 hours on them and put 250-500hours on them and trade them in again on a different machine with about 1500 hours. The last time I did this I got $500 less for my trade than what I paid for it. I had planned on doing this with my current loader but I just had to put new rubber tracks on it ($4000) so I might keep this one a bit longer. If you do this you must make sure the machine is in decent shape b4 you buy because if you have to fix lots of stuff you will lose. The new tracks on my current machine really threw a wrench in my buying plans.:cry:
  7. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

I paid about 37,500 for my new 257B with cab and heat....0% interest for 4 years
    u cant beat 0% financing is this offer good all over the states or just by u
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, you guys stole those 257's...Equipment prices out here are incredibly ridiculous, a new 257B with the same setup out here in the west would be at least $43K.
  9. TerraFirma Excavating

Does Caterpillar have a blanket frieght rate for it's dealers? My local dealer ships 6 skid steers at a time from Washington and says it breaks down to $1,800 per machine. Maybe that's why the machines are higher priced here in Alaska.
  10. TerraFirma Excavating

I haven't tried any of Bobcat's tracked machines yet. I stopped in the Cat dealer to see if there were any deals I couldn't pass up. Tomorrow is my last day in town and I don't know if I'll be able to make it by the dealer to discuss the sale anymore.

I don't want to rush into a purchase just for tax purposes. I'll probably wait until spring before purchasing a CTL/MTL.