New w/b idleing low

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Toro proline 32" w/b and used it for the first time today. When I fired it up and started to cut with it it seamed like the engine wasn't at full power. The throttle was on high but in clumped up in some thick wet stuff. It has a 13hp Kohler on it. Is there a break in period for these or a governor that I can removed. I'll take it to the dealer if I can't figure it out myself.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah just take it back and ask them to put a tach on it so you can see what the governed RPM is. I'm betting it's probably set low and the dealer probably never checked it during setup or prior to you taking delievery.

Low engine RPM's is probably the most common culprit of cutting problems.
    For this reason I can't for the life of me see why all these MFG's don't go the extra few bucks and make the Crew Boss hour meter standard equipment. Lesco/Cub equipment has them standard. They display the hours while the engine is off and display engine RPM when the engine is on. Plus they have the service reminders.

Bottom line is, you should have something like that installed on your mower.
    It will save you lots of time and trouble.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Every LCO should own a tach. Ask your dealer to order you a tach from Echo or Stihl and get the one with a wire and a clip so it can be used hands off. There is no way anyone can get accurately set the rpms by just listening to an engine unless they bump it up to the edge of the governor's limit and stop just as the engine starts to surge.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mean to be cruel but, what the heck is wrong with you?
    If it's a new mower, just take it back to the dealer.
    AND, it's not a racing engine. Don't be fiddling with the governer. No hard feelings?
  5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer is 45 minutes away. That might not be far for you but with a full mowing schedule and my first child being born less then two days ago it would be alot easier for me to fix it if it was something simple.