New Walk Behind Mower, Which 1????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C., Feb 10, 2005.

1. ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. LawnSite Member

I'm Thinking Of Buying A New Walk Behind. I Seen The Lesco 48" With A 17hp In It. I Have A 52" Bobcat That I Like, But Not Sure If I Should Get Another Or A Scag, Or The Lesco. Any Input Would Be Awsome.

Thanks Bill

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, don't waste time with a walk behind, get a ZTR.

3. ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. LawnSite Member

I Have A 48" 355z. But I Wanted Another Walker For Smaller Jobs. Do You Use Your Z For All Your Jobs?

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want the best 48" walkbehind? look at the hustlers. The super or the standard. The super with a sulky will do anything the same width ZTR will do and more. The hustlers are the eaiest walkbehinds to use and they cut great too.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Ditto to that! If I were going to do it with a walk-behind it would be with the Hustler Super Walk-behind. Absolutely awesome mower.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

do you think they're better than the exmark?
    which one would you say cuts better?

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The Hustler is definitely a better built mower than the Exmark walk-behind IMO. As far as cut quality is concerned I would say they are equal.

I was at the Hustler dealer right before Xmas looking for new toys. While I was there I took a good look at the Super Walk-Behind and I couldn't believe how well built it was. Heavy gage steel throughout the frame and deck. The H-bar control was very impressive as well.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

You better take a look at the ferris dualdrive walk behinds. Just ask Rodfather. They make a great machine. The wheel base is just as wide as the deck. IMO the lesco w/b's have a very heavy front end. It seems like it would be hard to lift the front end up if needed while using the unit.

9. grass disaster

arn't they about 70 lbs heavier than the exmark? i also am looking for a walk behind. but i don't want to buy a tank.

i am still debating between the exmark and the hustler. i can get the exmark for $100 less.

just wondering have you ever used an exmark?

p.s. i am comparing the 17 horse hustler and the 17 horse exmark.

10. grass disaster

with almost every other mower, you have a stationary handlebar peice to hold onto to that you can grab and use to pull back on the mower handle, thereby popping a wheelie without altering speed. With a Hustler H-bar, the only way to pop a wheelie, is to slow down very slow, then jerk the controls to swiftly speed up the machine, this makes it pop a wheelie, but you have to alter your speed alot in two different directions (slow then rapidly accelerate) and I feel this is not as controlled as a manual wheelie. Also what will you do if you are on delicate turf? That would rip the turf right out of the ground (and cause a lot of damage on wet ground). I find it necessary to pop a wheelie going up into the trailer too as I top the gate, do not want to increase speed there either, and i find it harder to land coming off the wheelie if you do not have a stationary handle to use to stabilize the machine.... just my honest opinions. Try it yourself if you like, and you'll see what I mean. You can't wheelie it without jerking the controls to speed it up. Also, sometimes on a tricky hill or ditch or when turning around with the ProSlide on wet grass, I have need to pop a small wheelie to transfer weight to the rear tires for better traction. Can't do that with a Hustler...

is there any truth to this... i kinda see what he means. and being that little bit heavier i could see how it might be a little harder to get the front end up.