new walk-behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hotpan, Mar 22, 2006.

1. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

i am new to the business, but always cut neighbors lawn in highschool with my dad's wal-mart mower with a steering wheel. I just bought my first Scag 36" belt drive wb but dont pick it up until my trailer is finished being built on monday. i must say, even though it is only 36", i am a little intimidated by the machine. SHOULD I BE. Ofcourse i will practice with it on my yard before i mow my accounts, but should I be intimidated????
  2. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

dont be....what made u go with a 36'' thats what i have and wish i would have gotten a 48'' seeing that i only run one mower...good luck with will get easy to use...jst start out slow
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You got 400 lbs more than the average push mower and you are going to move at a faster ground speed with it. Be cautious and careful, but don't be intimidated.
  4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Start slow!! Learn the machine. If you have a velke, then I would suggest mowing a couple of times without it. Keep it slow at first!!!!!

You will be fine!!!
  5. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

thanks all!
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

my first experience with a walkbehind was in a yard with an inground pool.
    Advice: make sure the handles are locked RIGHT when you stop to empty the bag of grass. :cry:
  7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

The good part about a 36" is you can get in most fences. I don't really do commercial work other than friends/church, but a couple realitives have fences with no double gate that I have to use a 36" on.
  8. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

haha, i know youre not saying it went in the pool.....