new walkbehind opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by selnoil, May 23, 2004.

1. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    Been looking at old threads about walk-behinds. I was leaning toward Toro Proline but are having reservations based on your opinions.
    We have a Walker and 2 Toro personal pace mowers and are looking to add a walk-behind that is very versatile. Seems like we have to use the 21" mowers on alot of jobs that a walk-behind could do in a fraction of the time.
    I need it to: Bag well, handle hills and slopes (were the Walker can not), handle bagging leaves (we've got tons in the fall), and tow a velke/sulky on big jobs as a 2nd mower.

Please fill me in on the different brands, I'm only familiar with the Proline only. I want to invest in the best mower for the different jobs it can do. Lets have your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

does the proline still have that damn t bar control system? i tried to use on of those things one time and just couldn't get it. my metro has been very reliable and the cut is great with or without a mulch kit. i have the standard pistol grip controls but would like to update it to the ecs controls they have now. much more comfortable to me.

http://www.exmark.com/Metro.htm

if you want a floating deck just check out the HP version.

if you want to step up to a hydro system instead of belt drive, you can check out the viking.

http://www.exmark.com/Viking.htm

3. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention that we'd also like a unit that the height can be changed easy.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Once again i'm with gravely. If you dont want to spend the extra on a floating deck their fixed deck is way easier to change heights then other brands (just pins no spacers like all the other companies use). Also their deck is a great design and does well with tall wet grass or leaves. I like the pro steer also, kinda like a T-bar but its split its very easy to use.

5. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I am definately going to get a floating deck!!!

6. MikeLT1Z28

then get the metro hp, it's a floating deck belt drive. turf tracer will be the next step up if you want a hydro with floating deck. the looked at the gravely when they were redesigned (look at the underside of the decks and gravely and exmark are very close) but decided to go with what i knew worked great.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I say go with a hydro drive with a floating deck. Anything else and you'll end up kicking yourself all day long. I got a belt-drive, fixed deck WB. It cuts beautifully, but you should see the bruises on my a**.

8. MikeLT1Z28

mark, did you get the self steering sulky or something? it's not hard to change the height on the fixed deck metro, just a clip and a few spacers, biggest part is getting greasy from the front caster forks.

9. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

The more threads I read the more confused I get. Toro, Hustler, Gravely, etc., its obviously like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge arguments. I just went to get a nice WB for the $$.

Sounds like you guys that responded like the Exmark Hydro. I know I'm getting the floating deck anyway but need a nice bagging unit that handles the hills and slopes well and is easy to change heights. Of coarse a comfortable unit is always nice to operate.

Thanks for all the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Look at husqvarna walkbehinds no more pulling pins to raise the deck.