1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Walkbehind or Used Rider?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 10, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Now the question that I must ask is this, I have found a used Toro Z 150 with about 650 hours on it with a 20 hp Kohler engine. It also has a 52" deck and is being sold by the dealer that has serviced it all along. Would I be doing better by buying a new walk behind or going ahead and getting the used Toro Z?

The dealer is letting me trade my wave runner in for the mower so that is a nice deal... what would you guys do?
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

no money involved just a straight up trade. Hmmm gives a few more details. How much is the wave runner worth & whats he asking for the mower
  3. grasssin

not going to be a straght up trade I will owe money and he is asking $3000 for the Toro Z
  4. grasssin

come on guys I thought you would help me out a little bit better!!
  5. Farmer

Farmer LawnSite Member

what kind of yards do you mow? I would probaly go with the rider, unless all the yards you mow are small and you have no use for the rider.......
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would think the 52" deck with a 20hp Kohler is going to be underpowered.
    What's a Z150?Is it a Z100?
    Saw an ad tonight here in North Alabama.48" Cub Tank.20hp with 300 hours for the same price.
    Personally,I wouldn't get it .Sell the jet ski.Then buy your mower.Heck,it's the end of the growing season.Save your dollars for next spring.
  7. grasssin

I believe it is an older model, and no I will not have any large areas to mow (more than 2 acres)

My question is should I just spend the money on a new walkbehind saving me warranty and money or go with the rider?

It seems like being new I would have better tech and knowledge on the item.
  8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

52" with 20 Kohler, is really underpowered especially a Z. I would look for 23 hp and up.
    As for WB, same nowday as starting point 52/23 . Don't get a WB with 17hp, it doesn't have much punch and is outcut by a smaller 36".