New walker blower wheel not as strong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmboy52787, Jun 24, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Yeah i installed the 10.5 ghs blower in my 2003 walker right before fall cleanup last year and used it for all of fall and spring cleanups (which was a lot) and till saturday of last week when it was to bad to operate. I think it is my fault because i put that blower through hell with the amount of sticks and rocks I have hit. But it all started June 1st when my buddy hit a good size stick in the grass and it bent over one of the fins on the blower wheel so that it was rubbing on the casing. I bent it back with a pry bar and it worked fine until I hit another stick which bent it right over so it was touching another fin and it vibrated like hell. So i think the whole balance of it is off and my dealer has ordered me a new wheel and its nice and easy to take apart only took 45 mins with 2 people. Also I used it in a lot of dusty, and sandy areas so I'm sure the abrasion wore it out quicker too, actually it only saw a month of actual lawn mowing, but for the amount of money I made with it to the $85 or so for a new wheel, I'm not complaining, just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.

2. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

was the conversion to the 10.5 a considerable difference? Thinking of doing it to my 03

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you bend the fan, it's junk. You can continue to run it, but the harmonic vibration will take it's toll on the machine, loosing up nuts and bolts and causing metal fatigue and things start to crack and brake. If you bend a fan, replace it. This goes for every and any machine. Walker, Navigators, Cougars, and any Vac system on a Z like the Ultra Vac on the exmarks and such.

The dust and sand will wear the blower out VERY QUICKLY. This is why Exmark uses a metal that is more abrasive resistant on the blower housing and fan, and actually has a double thick reinforcment piece welded on the side of fan housings. I know the Bunton BZT1250 model also had changed the material in the fan and housing early in their production because they were wearing out quickly.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the reinforcement strip on the Navigator blower. It's tough to see, but it's in the back. Exmark puts it on there from the factory. It's basically what we do to patch up the walker blowers if the fan and bearing are in good shape. The hole in the side of the housing can build up debris and jam the fan up, not to mention it blows dust and grass all over everything under the seat chasis. If they haven't as of yet, i'm surprised walker hasn't done this as of yet. It's been a problem for years and another 10-20 dollars worth of production costs would save their customers 3-500 dollars to replace the fan. So to answer your question, yes, this is pretty common to see.

4. farmboy52787

Yes its so powerful that it blows the rear door open a little bit.

5. farmboy52787

So when you say if i bend a fan then it will vibrate no matter what? So thats like when you sharpen a blade, and if one end is heavier than the other its out of balance and vibrates?

6. farmboy52787

Well since my other Walker is down because of the blower, I have been using my new Walker and today I was mowing my families apartment house and it was pretty tall. So I have about 20 minutes left and bang something goes through the blades and then the blower belt starts shrieking so i shut it off quickly. I get off to see what was in there and it was a piece of old 1/2" rebar, in a u-shape! Where the hell did that come from, the tenants kid plays outside with the weirdest crap and leaves it out there for me to hit!. Anyways the fan bent right over, broke the weld and pushed the blower casing out a little bit so it broke all the fins off that stupid hydro fan. So now I have 2 mowers with 2 broken blowers and hopefully my dealer will have some replacement blower wheels tomorrow so i can put them in. Damn thing only has 46 hours in 19 days! Walker should put more weld to these things because they're not holding up to my expectations, but o well, i'll fix it and move on.

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much. If you've ever run a 21 inch mower with a bent blade or crank, it vibrates like a mo-fo.

The fan will do the same think.

I saw a walker one time that they bent the fan after it was real thinned out. It vibrates so bad that the metal fatigued and cracked holding the blower in. Blower basically fell out of the machine.