1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new Walker motor installed

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wacky zachy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wacky zachy

wacky zachy LawnSite Member
    from mass

i just got thru installing a new motor in my walker and i am just curious what would you guys recommend that i put in a brand new kohler 25hp commander V motor for oil? and there after
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would run the OEM proprietary oil for 25hours then drop it for a good synthetic oil. Of course I use & recommend AMSOIL:) if you don't like AMSOIL I would then recommend Valvoline synthetic or dino oils. Also I drop my air cooled engine oil when I get them to the shop, some folks believe in "old school" break-in periods. To be safe I recommend waiting 25hours; which is below Kohler's recommendations. My argument against Kohler recommendations on oil or oil change intervals, is I have in the past followed their oil change intervals, and used their oils only to blow engines. Once I switched to AMSOIL , and followed my own oil change intervals ZERO engine failures to date with Kohler.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

For the first 50 to 100 hours, stick with a high quality conventional oil. Kohler 10w30 would be ideal.
    After 50 to 100 hours feel free to switch to synthetic. Amsoil is a great choice, they have oil specifically for air cooled engines.