1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

new Walker motor installed

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wacky zachy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wacky zachy

wacky zachy LawnSite Member
    from mass

i just got thru installing a new motor in my walker and i am just curious what would you guys recommend that i put in a brand new kohler 25hp commander V motor for oil? and there after

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would run the OEM proprietary oil for 25hours then drop it for a good synthetic oil. Of course I use & recommend AMSOIL:) if you don't like AMSOIL I would then recommend Valvoline synthetic or dino oils. Also I drop my air cooled engine oil when I get them to the shop, some folks believe in "old school" break-in periods. To be safe I recommend waiting 25hours; which is below Kohler's recommendations. My argument against Kohler recommendations on oil or oil change intervals, is I have in the past followed their oil change intervals, and used their oils only to blow engines. Once I switched to AMSOIL , and followed my own oil change intervals ZERO engine failures to date with Kohler.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

For the first 50 to 100 hours, stick with a high quality conventional oil. Kohler 10w30 would be ideal.
    After 50 to 100 hours feel free to switch to synthetic. Amsoil is a great choice, they have oil specifically for air cooled engines.