New Walker today... buyers remourse!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to believe the title, I know.... But I made a bad mistake this last week. I convinced myself that this was the machine for me, with the hi-dump and height adjuster, but found out otherwise. Now, I don't know what to do. I have a $13,000 machine that I'm not going to be able to use.

Now, I have had a Walker before, and the machine itself is NOT the problem... It's all the "extra" stuff that I added to it that's giving me fits.

It's a brand new MTGHS 48" 23hp with the hi-dump, quick height adjuster, and comfort seat w/arm rests...

The hi-dump just isn't going to work for me, not with my truck, not with the quantity of grass that I dump in the bed each day. Unless the bed is nearly empty when I dump in it a good portion of the load ends up on the ground. Also they claim a 67" dump height, my trucks sides are 64" high, and it barely clears them, if at all. The added 150 lbs. isn't working in my favor either.

The height adjuster I got must be a total lemon. For one, it wasn't even installed and adjusted right from the dealer, and then I noticed that the chains on the lever side are not tracking straight, like the rod that connects the 2 sides is actually too short... Can't even use it at all because it won't even hold in the height settings above 2.75", anything over that and when I hit a little bump the deck would just drop.

Then I got the comfort seat, and like a fool added the armrests too... Well duh... armrests are 100% useless, and totally in the way on the walker. Tried to remove them, no luck. I have no friggin clue how they are mounted to the seat, or if they can even be removed once they are put on...

Now I have a machine with 2.4 hours that, much like I had feared in the pit of my stomach, isn't going to work out for me at all... what the hell do I do??? :confused:

2. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

That is some real bad luck, did you not do any research on all the extra's before you bought them? If so and its not what you where told then take them back. Good luck.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

best return it NOW and get a refund before it TOO late.

4. Jason Rose

No, trust me, I thought long and hard about the hi-dump, which is the biggest part of the problem now. It was one of those deals where I thought it wouldn't work from the start, and then convinced myself that I was just being a pessimest. I measured things, several times actually, but I've never had the opportunity to actually run a walker with the new dump on it. They don't demo them, so you only have one choice, make the decision and buy one.

The height adjuster seems like a cool deal, if the one I have wasn't totally off... and the seat, well I guess that was just a dumb mistake with the arm rests. Can't use them when they are down, and folded back the right side one is the the way. Well, either way they are in the way actually.

I just feel like a total ass to have to call the dealer and say, hey, know that machine I JUST picked up, well I want to bring it back and get one with out all the extra stuff... I'd love to have the comfort seat, minus the arm rests, and the height adjuster if it can be made to actually WORK. Other than that, I think the dump bins are the best option for me, which is what I've been using since last summer.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Ouch! I really know how you feel. I sold my phazer and stander for a 34" dixon and once I started using it I felt sick that I sold the greatest D... mower I ever owned(the phazer)!!! So luckily a lco bought it from me and I lost a few hundred but ended up with a lazer hp. So it worked out well for me. I hope your situation works out for you. Can't you return it or trade it in for something else?

6. Jason Rose

Just to clear things up, these options are NOT ones that you can just "remove". The hi-dump was installed from the factory and is a serious project. to install. Removing it requires a bunch of parts on the machine to be added or replaced. Plus then you have holes in the hopper, and in other places on the machine from where it was mounted.

The height adjuster is a dealer installed item, they worked for about 2+ hours to install it, requires drilling and tapping a bunch of holes in the top of the deck and deck hanger frame. Also something that you really don't want to just remove.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear the Walker wasn't made in heaven. In case it can't be returned, what about an air system to let the truck down like a low rider? Or smaller wheels and tires (unAmerican, I know). Maybe they would at least put a standard seat on it for you.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

ouch, that hurts. IMO All you needed was the MT23 48" GHS 9.5 hopper & low profile wide tires, and the light kit. The height adjustment pins are easy to pull out & reinstall on the GHS decks. Sounds like you got excited in the dealership, good luck. Our Walker dealers let's you Demo them, and have the hi-dump option on the demo untis for this very reason tio make sure the hi-dump clears your Rig sides. The power dump is a about the only other feature I would add to my next Walker.

9. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, just curious, Jim's or Maximum tractor?

10. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

If your dealer installed the Easy Adjustment kit, i would go in there yelling and demanding your money back for gas, labor charges, and time lost! That is complete utter crap if you ask me. If your not happy with the product they should work with you, i mean if your selling a product and dont have any demo units whats the point? Like i went to go and test drive a car and they said ooo we dont allow any test drives, you can only test drive it when you purchase it. What do they expect you to automatically fall in love with it? Hope everything works out for you!