New wall and walk

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by joee0914, Jun 28, 2012.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

That is a tough statement to make. Basic design practices should not be less because it is not a McMansion. I'll be damned if I hire someone to work on my 250K house and they think for a second it is anything but acceptable to do a complete and proper job with the same level of care that would go into any job.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Less detail on a job doesn't necessarily mean less attention to detail.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well.........I do value engineer and this statement would have credibility if that really was the case. But fact is - the design is flat out lack of knowledge, education, and experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think i've ever seen geo-grid used like that before. 4th pic. Has the NCMA come up with some new specs or guidelines on grid installation that i'm not aware of???????

5. jonesy5149

jonesy5149 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Really? Come on?

6. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't see all the flat spots in it? The radius is to tight for block that long, it does not have a smooth flow to it among many other issues I see!

7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking as the guy who often gets called because "we had our hardscaping done by this great guy but he doesn't do plants and we have no idea what to put here" - come on, man, give me something to work with. My rule of thumb for keeping it stupid simple: unless there is a darn good reason, don't do a plant bed less than 5'. If the planting bed is behind a wall, 6-8' minimum. Trust me.

What would've made a huge difference would be if you had opened that radius way up and come farther out into the yard. Honestly, something with a 10' radius or so wouldn't have been a lot more costly, you could have then had a nice bed with a rockin' ornamental tree to anchor it, and it would've tied the whole project together better.

8. scott lawn

scott lawn LawnSite Member

What is the best way to give an estimate on a wall how do i measure to see how much block i need and how much gravel .