1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New water source... why isn't my herbicide working?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, May 15, 2008.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I just moved shops and am having some issues with weed control. The amount of control is really limited!!

Could my water be the problem? Is PH a problem??? it seems that we are dumping tons of herbicide on with minimal results.. Not sure why, but i've never had this problem before.

Thanks for the help.

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

If your'e Ph is off it's just like spraying water, the chemical binds to the minerals and clay in the hard water and affects the control, The strips I use are really accurate, basically it's green is awesome and dark orange is really bad, you want it to be atleast between green and yellow for good control.
    This happens so much more than people realize, usually when guys are filling on the road.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of weeds? And what are you using for weeds? At what rate? And is the weather too cool for good response? We are seeing veronica--very tough. Violets--very tough. Henbit--too mature. Take a water sample in to your local Culligan man or bottled water dealer. They'll find out in a minute. Jest be prepared for the sales pitch.

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Get the test strips at any pool/hot tub supply store.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How would you adjust pH in tank fill water? Is there an additive?

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

most pool supply places will have Muratic Acid to adjust water Ph. Warning: only a small amount of acid will change the Ph considerably, so if you do adjust do so in very small amounts and check regularly.

7. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

I.D. should be your first step.
    Season in which the thrive would be your next.
    Choosing your herbicide according too your findings.
    and
    Apply at the recommended rate on label.
    Follow all law that goven your State when applying any herbicide and when in dought, hire a pro!

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

so what pH should the water be? I dont see any reccomendation on the jug of SpeedZone Southern

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The worst possible additive for acidifying your spray solution is Muriatic Acid - unless you want to keep replacing seals especially in a chlorinated water source.
    Instead use clear vinegar available in the restaurant sized two gallon containers - much less expensive than acid, no where near as corrosive to pump seals, much safer to handle and at about 1.5ounces to 3 ounces per gallon depending upon pH in the host water supply you can use it as a rinse aid in your large measuring cup.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We use city water that has a pH between 8.2 -- 8.7 depending upon the time of year.

(8.0 pH is ten times more alkaline than 7.0. 9.0 pH is 100 times more alkaline).

Acidifiers like LI700 do a nice job -- just follow the label, and you should get better results.