1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Way Of Marketing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Jan 10, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone out there tried or have any new ways of marketing, other than the usual? I've heard of a couple different things i might give a try, some are very out of the ordinary, but might be very beneficial. I heard of someone who runs a "lawn beauty contest". very strange to me. I guess he has various outfits from or around his town take pictures of the lawns or something and he has it held in a parking lot. different companies have to pitch in and they get a table at the contest, and they can promote there company that way. And obviously the winner will gain a couple of accounts.
    Any of you out there heard of any other ways of marketing?
  2. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a couple of ideas but have never acted on them.

One was to organize lawn mowing races. Not the stupid lets super charge the mtd, but actualy mow grass. I thought it would make for good advertizing especially if I won.

An other one was sellin lawn maint. like Electrulux. Call people and set up appointments to mow their grass for free. I figured I would be able to price the job after I mowed it, makeing the price right on the money.

I went for a walk one day down a side street and priced ever job in my head as I walked by. then I went home and averaged out all the prices. Then I figured that for every house right next to each other saved me $5 in drive time ect. Then I made posters that said I would cut any house on that street for $25 or whatever it was, plus $2.50 off per cut for each neighbor you get to sign up. We'll see if I get any hits from it this spring
  3. Robert Ewald

Robert Ewald LawnSite Member

I have found a fun and simple way to generate pre qualified leads. I am young in the industry so maybe this is already being done. I go around and talk with other companies in related outdoor fields, ( such as Landscaping, fencing, paving) and explaing to them that I come across work for them evey so often ( because every one has experience a client asking them if they did something that they dont), for example a mow guy being asked to put up a deck. What I do is set up a working relationship with these other business owners and tell them that evey time I come across work that I dont do that I will send it to them if they will pay me a percentage or a flat fee when they do the work. And then the sweet part for them is that I tell them that I will do the same for them. The reason why this works is because evey company is dependent upon sales and this approach is an inexpensive way to generate qualified leads, as well as a way for both parties to generate extra income.
  4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

In the past, I have put an ad in our school's sporting event flyer that has the team that we are playing against names, numbers, our team names, numbers. I at one time too, put a coupon in there too.
  5. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I've found the best way to get new accounts is to go around and look for property that is in poor shape. Take a picture and have it blown up to about 8x10 call and find out when they bid out. Send them a letter telling them you will be getting with them at that time to bid. Call on them about a month early and ask to walk the property with the manager. If the manager will walk the property with you it gives you a chance to point out the problem areas. Ask them if they were happy with the service they received last year. Get the bid drawn up and call the manager back. Tell him or her you would like to go to lunch and go over the bid. If they are too busy ask if you can have lunch brought in. This shows how serious you are about their business. Lets say they get six bids and they throw out the high and the low and you are still left in the middle. Who do you think the manger is going to consider the most the guy/gal he never met or the one that came out to see him/her personally 3-4 times. Last but not least enclose the 8x10 picture that looks like crap with your bid and put a little note on it that asks "Happy with your current service provider" The reason for the picture is most comm props bid in the winter when every prop looks dead.(at least around here) that horrible picture of their property should help make the decision of dropping the last guy.

lawnsite pic.jpg
  6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

this is'nt of my work just used it to show what a lousy job the last guy did
  7. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

A friend of mine and his wife have a cleaning business. They do mostly highend residential houses. Their cleaning business has really grown over the past couple years. To the point they have had to ad a couple of employees. We are going to do a $20- $30 finders fee to one another for referals.

I have also thought of sponsering a little league team this year.
  8. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Hmmmmm, interesting.

What does sponsoring a team entail exactly?