New way to measure GPM/PSI and be DOBA

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Hank Reardon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

New install...going in we knew we were going to be pressure shy based on readings off a hose bib. Made the new POC yesterday and returned today with the instruments.

Mike had a great idea to make an assembly that could be "plugged in" to measure exact gpm/psi on a new mainline. The reading is made using a Data Industrial flow sensor (250BR) coupled with a Data Industrial portable flow monitor. The PSI was measured using a glycol-filled gauge threaded in the #4 check of the DCVA (subtracted pressure loss on the Weathermatic 8200 MV at 1.8psi). I made it up this morning and took my readings. Here are some pics (light was too low due to fog and my camera phone had issues focusing). This is only the prototype, the new production model will be all brass. :laugh:

Now it's time to get creative...

Flow meter and test instrument 7.26.07.JPG

PSI reading off #4 check.JPG

2. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

That's Real Nice!Scientific nice,Like space shuttle nice.To extreme for me static & residule pressure will do me fine.If water flow is that tight for you I'm sure nasa will loan you an astrophysis.I have never used the fill up bucket method timing how long it takes to fill it up nor will I be using a piece of equipment like that!I have to give you props on the thought.I've done sports fields to Gardens for my family never had to go that far but if it works for you!

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It works for us (pats himself on back) because on a known low pressure site
    there is the very real possibility the project cannot be done; better to know that going in & gracefully back down the drive. In this case, Hank measured
    50 psi at the faucet. After the gate valve & DCVA went in, we measured 40psi
    off the DCVA, 10 psi friction loss (I miss the 805Ys). Add the brass
    master valve & we had about 38 static. Opening up the ball valve, we got
    20 gpm @ 0 psi, throttle down gave us 10 gpm @ 30. Not exactly I-20 land.
    A booster pump is prohibited in this water system, so we'll try a 1" meter
    to beat the friction loss in the 5/8. Hank, has 17,000 sq.ft. of turf to irrigate, so run times become problematic as daytime runs are out.
    The point is, we knew we could have problems & used the tools available
    to get the truth; better to know than learn it too late. We are throwing a
    new tool in that Hank found: a psi logger..maybe at 3:00 am we'll be in
    better shape. www.dicksondata.com
    click on pressure..it's the PR-100.:)

4. Fascinating detective work. Dangerous thing to read ya'lls minds but I'm guessing mprotators banging around in there? Either that or miles and miles of netafim.

5. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

About what will it cost for a 1" meter?it would be $900.00 in my city but go across the bridge to Alabama up to $1600.00 it goes.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You could do great work at low pressures with R-50s (oh, waitaminute.....)

7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't note it but I think we measured 40psi @ 1.5gpm. We could just zone it out with one I-20 per station and install a Rain Master. :laugh:

8. Mike Leary

You can bet ALL options are on the table.:cry:

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There's always Maxipaws :p

10. Mike Leary

I wondered how long it would take you to post that.:laugh: