New way to refuse work

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Jul 20, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In the past, I always ran from the pita job, usually without further explanation.

But I hated to do it, because it's unprofessional for one, and it's bad for business. I've been working hard to come up with a new way to refuse those customers or jobs I simply don't want for whatever reason, until one day I ran into the no-bid letter... I thought, if someone can be so smart as to reply to a bid with a 'no bid' letter, why can't I do something similar?

I came up with this:

Name of Your Business
    (800) 555-1212

Re: 1234 TheirStreetname., City, ST 54321

Dear theirname,

I am most appreciative of your work offer. It is
    unfortunate that your offer arrived when it did, as I have
    just accepted another large project. Should my situation
    change, I will be in prompt contact with you. However, I
    believe the project which I have chosen holds great promise.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been doing that verbally and in writing for years.......

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like it!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

thanks, I just used it for the first time today and it felt good in more ways than one. First I felt the relief of not having to deal with something I was pretty sure was a bad deal waiting to happen, but I also felt it was the best way to say so.

What prompted and pushed me to it, in this case the customer had been referred to me by a really good customer of mine...
    Actually, I think they were 'name dropping' (but I must've spotted a half dozen or more red flags) yet it's still a potential hand grenade should I simply ignore this one, the customer is just as likely to bad mouth me in front of my good customer and then I've got that potential double loss on my hands...

These double losses have frustrated me for many years, I have lost more than a few good customers due to this pita referral bs, but I never knew what else to do... It was either lose out bigtime by accepting a royal pita job where I had a dozen red flags right in my face, or walk away from at least the pita job, and risk losing my good customer to boot. (and I've done tried both ways LOL).

Yeah, I was much relieved when I came up with that, lol.
    I am going to use it from now on, referral or not (because you never know for sure anyway), it's nice and it should actually help increase business in a backwards and mild kind of way.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with saying " No thanks" ?

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Or find whatever reason possible (out of the way of other routes and inconvenient) to bid it high, then if you still get it you at least make a lot more on it.

7. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Its was that hard to figure out you can just say "have too many other large projects going on, no can do."?

or you can say we might be able to squeeze you in, but it aint gonna be cheap.

8. jacough42

jacough42 LawnSite Member

I like the letter. I always used to (OK I still do it) add a PITA surcharge ranging anywhere from a few dollars to double the price. Sometimes my first impressions have been wrong and potential PITA's have turned out to be OK customers. Unfortunately the opposite is also true. I just managed to dump one of those by raising the price at contract time.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dear PITA,

There is no way I could charge enough to make working for you bearable.

Thank You,

Jon

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it!!! It's inoffensive and to the point :laugh: