New website! Do you like it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by earthly, Mar 20, 2008.

1. earthly

earthly LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

2. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

I thought it was really cool. Nice pics, and the push button tabs to move to each pic were great also. My site is sill under construction so I have only a temp site up. I'm trying to drive customers to my site by giving away something online. If you have time check it out in a couple of weeks or go there now and sign up for the giveaway but I don't think you will win.. Ha Ha. www.prosoil.us

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

It took a while for it to load the first page...it froze on 12% about a minute. I dont like how the text boxes have to be scrolled through, I would make the text box bigger and have the whole page to scroll up and down.

I just wrote that based off of what you wrote....No offense but I really didn't like how yours read....

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

You are off to a good start and have some great aspects but I am going to pretty much tear it apart from here so I apologize. Great header for the site.

My thoughts, and all they are are merely MY thoughts.

- WAY too many words, I was interested in your site and still didnt read a single word.
    -The top header looks great but other than that there really wasnt anything else that pulled me deeper into your site.
    - Phone number and contact information should be easily found on every page rather than stuck at the bottom, but you are certainly on the right track. Some sites dont have it at all. Stick it up top in some decorative fashion.
    - Pictures are all great pics, but I would love to be able to see them bigger. The big selected picture was still only about 2"x3" on my screen.
    - and once again way too many words. Break up the paragraphs, get them out of the scroll boxes, make it a site that grabs your attention. From there you can let the person read about your company.

Check out http://www.earthturfwood.com/index.asp
    He does a great job of having the paragraphs like you do, but lots of other stuff (pictures) to keep people that dont read (like me) scrolling through the site.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with lawnmaster5000 on his observations.

The "Lawn Care" tab is too vague. I see nothing in the words that speak to what would be done, such as fertilization, weed control, mowing, trimming, bush trimming, etc. Also, I doubt that nobody is interested in reading about "how eager you are to get started ...." I'm sorry, I don't recall exactly the words.

Remember to sell the benefits of working with your company. You do mention items throughout, such as experience, that are important.

Also, I think the entire site has nothing about the service areas. Apart from the phone number, I would have to research where you are even located. This should be easily understood by any reader. I don't think I even know the state you are working. Maybe I missed -- if so, I'm wrong. But, it should be dominant -- at first glance.

Most importantly, what are you wanting to do with the web site? What is your objective? I see nothing about online payments, so that is not part of your strategy. This leaves me with using the site to sell your services -- right, not right?

If that is the case, then how would a prospect find your web site? How do search engines bring up your web site? I would think that some keywords, such as "landscaping," "patio construction," "lawn mowing," and similar terms/phrases would be key to have a search engine bring your site to the top of the list. Again, in this regard, having a location be obvious, especially to a search engine, would be very important.

Your question at the top of this thread, "Do you like it?" is the wrong question. The real question: "Will this website be effective in selling my services to my target audience?" Whether anybody here on LS "likes" it or not is irrelevant. Whether the site is effective in getting new business for you is very important.