1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by evergreenedmond, Dec 3, 2008.

1. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it down before the spiderbots see that. Finish the coding of the site BEFORE launching it. That is Rule #1.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Please don't be mad for my blatant statement here, but this needs to be said. You guys know how aggravating it is to talk to a homeowner about landscaping when they don't know what they are talking about. How about when they build a some piss-poor wall that they think is GREAT?

Well that's about what a website looks like to someone who knows what they are looking for when it's built by someone who doesn't. Kind of like a wall built by a homeowner...even though they think it's great we know better and so do a lot of passer-by's.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Argggg ... another flash site. Need a graceful fall back, bots don't crawl flash and you shouldn't force people to install a third party extension in order to view your site. Kinda curious why you even need flash to do that?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

Same curiosity since it's just a slide show..AND on my browser it covers all your drop down links so I can't see them if I try (only know because I can see a bit of the end one on the left.)
    Below is exactly how a search engine "bot" sees your site:

[1]Evergreen Landscaping

* [2]Landscaping
    + [3]Seasonal
    + [4]Water Features
    * [5]Lighting
    + [6]Landscape Lighting
    * [7]Weed Control
    + [8]Lawn Program
    + [9]Tree & Shrub
    * [10]Mowing
    + [11]Commercial
    + [12]Residential
    * [13]Irrigation
    + [14]Installation
    + [15]Repair
    * [16]About
    + [17]Contact Us

[EMBED]

6. BDLC Mikey

BDLC Mikey LawnSite Member

google z index for your layering issue... why do you hate flash so much, kiril?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It's not that I hate it, it is however what I consider bloat for the majority of cases. There is no need for flash on most sites. If you want to do some cool presentation with flash, by all means do it, but for your bread and butter site, all it amounts to is a nuisance that is not accessibility compliant, a bandwidth hog, is very restrictive in its capabilities, many are difficult to use and are buggy, and does not come standard with any browser. About the only good thing I see flash being used for are movie and gaming sites ... beyond that :nono:

I will also point out, if a flash site takes 30 secs or more to load using a 56K modem, you might as well kiss that potential client goodbye.

8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Flash sucks! Not needed in this industry. Tell the client why they should choose you dont "bell and whistle" them to death and hope they contact you because your site has animation or flash. You need more text content that is larger font and easier to read with keyword content. Also, for all the pictures that you do have; the quality of photo isn't that great. Consider lightening them in a photo editor.

9. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, sorry to go against the grain here. Personally I thought your site looked great. The photos are among the best I have seen on any website. It does a good job of making you look professional and creating confidence in your work.

Your meta tags could use some work. You only have a title and not a good one.

10. BDLC Mikey

BDLC Mikey LawnSite Member

I guess it just depends who your target demo is kiril. mine is definitely not some old coot afraid to embrace technology and does not have a simple flash player that takes a minute to install. Especially not one who is so afraid of change they cling to some 56k isp... ugh;), i get better speed than that on my cell phone. This is the same person that wants to control every little aspect of their lawn maintenance... send their wife out to follow you around and then ask why the price is so high and have the audacity to mention some other entity who may or may not have done it cheaper. no thanks i will keep shooting for the young to middle aged buisness exec type who is educated, easy going and "knows" that they are paying for a nice job and appreciate it.