New with questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone. I am new to this site and just getting started. I am only 20 years old and am starting this business on my own nickel and dime. So far I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 and some other random small hand tools. I am just wondering if a 48 walker ghs and a 52 wright stander are a good combo to start with? If anyone has any advice or tips I welcome all of it with open arms. I am going to be doing residential and some small commercial. I will also be doing installs, lawns, etc. Thanks
  2. JGroverCU

JGroverCU LawnSite Member

I have seen this question on here numerous times and it seems that the most common answer is relative to the area you are mowing. If the walker will fit through gates and obstacles that are in the lawns, then it should work. As far as the equipment brands, many people on here have favorites with pros and cons for each. I would suggest that you go with the equipment that you can afford and ones that have the best customer service in yuor area. If one breaks, you need to make sure that the location you purchase it at will give you a loaner if they cannot fix it right away. You definitely dont want to be caught with yards to mow and no tools for the job. I am new in the business as well and would like to wish you the best of luck.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I appreciate the feed back. There are several dealers in this area who carry these mowers and I am friends with the owners, so service is not going to be an issue. The best of luck to you as well
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well you sure are going to have just about the largest overhead that is possible since these units will run around $17K?
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

17k? Where are you shopping for mowers? 10k out the door for 26hp fuel injected walker and 5800 out the door for 52 stander. I am going used for now
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some advice that I believe is very worthwhile. It is still winter, get in touch with a community college in your area and take a class on small business or something related such as basic accounting. Remember that anyone can go out and buy lawn maintenance equipment and start mowing lawns. Most newbies get in trouble because they don't know how to run and maintain a "BUSINESS". Give yourself the edge and learn every year. I am not tring to discourage you from working, you will get plenty of work as soon as it gets a little warmer and I am sure your back will be in it. Take the time to get your head in it now and you won't be posting as to how much do I charge later. I am impressed by your initial line about starting with your own nickel and dime, if you get good at business you will multiply that many times. Good Luck.
  7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

This is some of the best advice anyone can give you, right on!!
  8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

great advice The buisness side is the downfall of alot of guys
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I am going to take classes over the winter at a communitiy college. I have some friends in the business and are doing great. They said that they will give some pointers to me. I think having friends is better than having enemies in this business. I do have enough knowledge not to run my company into the ground
  10. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to use Fluid Film for all your corrosion and lubrication needs.

If you've never tried it send me a pm and I'll ship you a can for free.