New wood in my trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DJ Contracting, Mar 31, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16' enclosed trailer and I need to replace the wood for the walls, anyway here is my question can I subsitute OSB for plywood?
    The OSB for 1/2 inch is one third the cost of plywood right now, and this is going on the walls not the floor. I would like to get the wood before the prices go up.

2. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

If you are going to screw anything into the sides of the trailer using standard wood screws you will have serious problems down the road as you hit bumps and potholes etc. Osb will not hold up like plywood will, that is why your trailers come with plywood from the factory.
    George

3. DJ Contracting

Mine came with that cheap luanwood i plan on running 1x4 along the top and attach any hardware to the 1x4's

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

OSB is okay until it gets wet. Then it seems to fall apart. Wouldn't use it on any outdoor applications.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Go with regular plywood I wouldn't buy OSB its got to be the worst crap on the market. How much is a sheet of 1/2" plywood ?

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido on the CHEAP!!! luan. One of my guys tested its strength when the trailer was 2 days old...the luan didnt win,lol. I ended up using 1/2 plywood 14" high around the entire bottom.

7. DJ Contracting

The 1/2 plywood is 17.98 and the 1/2 OSB is 7.49 again it will be inside my enclosed trailer on the walls.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Inside of a trailer would be okay. As long as its dry its okay.

9. DJ Contracting

Thats what I was thinking for the price difference.

10. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

Yeah go with the OSB for the price. I'm a carpenter before I got into the landscape business. Your screws wont loosen from hitting bumps. Just use fender washers behind your screw heads. If you want to screw an additional 1 foot strip of 1/2" plywood down the sides on top of the OSB, you can use that to screw any brackets into.