new wording for my contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

honest opinions, how do u think this will go down?- it used to be," lawn will be mowed weekly from......". ok, my changes are: "the lawn will be mowed approx 25 -28 times from april thru october." the fee will be a flat monthly fee , with a deposit rquired. refunds for anything below 25 cuts, are at my discretion, depending on WHY the cuts were missed (rain, drought, etc). input please

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds good

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

payup IMHO, anything is GOOD if your customers will buy it. I think it's great if they go for it.

My Residantial customers and prospects don't usually go for stuff like that.

4. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

Best of Luck but I think you will end up with disgruntled customers in a dry season. I generally get in 35 cuts a year. What is your billing if you have greater than 28 cuts?

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

*Lawn is to be mowed approx. 25 to 28 cuts per year at operators descretion upon visual inspection at each weekly service scheduled visit.
    *Fees will be billed at a monthly fee starting _______ and ending ________ at a rate of $_____ per billed month.
    *A deposit of $____ is required for initiation of contract. There will be no refunds on or below 25 cuts

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

in the big city that might be fine, but her in farm country, you get what you pay for , literally.... people arent paying for cuts they dont receive, and neither would i........ i think your area really does depend on what works and what doesnt.... here i bill monthly for cuts received .... i know many of the people here do it the way you described, and it works great for them...

i think your wording is clear and should leave no room for mistakes..

(nice to see you around again)

Dave:)

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

sounds good pj. i am trying to get everyone on a yearly fee, no more "per cuts". i think it's impossible to charge "per cut" and make a living. the drought thing...i'd definitely refund for severe droughts. the no refund clause, is for missed cuts due to rain. if it rains for a week, and we can't mow, i sure as hell aint mowing thier tall high wet grass on the next visit for the price of "a cut"

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the end of month billing/per cut method. The only time (in many years) I wasn't able to cut due to rain by the end of the week was this past october when we got that week of rain. I skipped lawns and billed the next week at 1.5 times for my troulbes. Here in suburbia almost everyone has irrigation so drought is a non-issue. Those that are dry I stop and do something (blow of drive, edge, or do beds) and then bill for the week. Here I do weekly service mid april to thanksgivnig (32 weeks). I have found it keeps everyone happy this way. People don't like when they get a bill or pay for a mowing that didn't happen, but at the same time- I'm not gonna reserve a time in the schedule and make no money from them that week if the lawn is too dry. I make an appearance, get paid and all are content. It's better than losing a $1800/yr customer over $30.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

My first thought is that your defeating the purpose of a seasonal charge if you start giving refunds for drought situations. The whole idea is to cover yourself as far as cash flow in case of a drought, so if you start refunding your in the same boat as before. I hope it makes sense.Its never fair for us to be cutting jungles in the spring AND THEN WHEN ITS TIME FOR THINGS TO EVEN OUT IN MID SUMMER ,CUSTOMERS TURN OFF THE CASH MACHINE.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

i see what you mean, but understand this: my business has so little overhead, that taking time off during droughts, doesn't bother me at all. i can relax, go out on the boat, whatever. WHAT IS an issue, is when we miss cus of rain, then have to spend alot of extra time on the next visit, but only charge the same "per cut" price. THIS, has happened at some point every year. the drought situation, however, i've personally only seen one time. my main concern is tripple/quadruple cutting after periods of rain, the drought issue, is not an issue for me