1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New work truck....with a lift kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jul 13, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Ok...here's the deal. I have a truck that pulls my trailer..day in and day out. I am looking for a new truck for personal use, but want to put my logo and such on it. It will be white in color. I am looking at two different trucks right now. Both are identical year, make, model and interior package. Both have same mileage (within 1000 miles of each other to be exact). One I can pick up around $1000. The cheaper one has a bed liner, running boards (nerf bar) and a 4" lift kit. How practical would a lift kit be on a work truck? I am mostly just concerned about looks here. It won't be pulling a trailer, but like I said, it will be lettered up. I will use it for 90% personal driving and 10% work. The work will include mostly running around giving estimates in the spring and fall and also will house my 200 gallon spray tank. I like the looks of lift kit on a truck, especially just 4" but worried it wont look too professional...catch my drift?

Lift kit or no? If it matters, both are 2002 Silverado LT models and extended cabs. I seen a LCO the other day pulling mowers with a truck that had about a 6" lift kit on it and thought it looked ridiculous.

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say go for it, In my area there are guys that have trucks that are all lettered up and that look nice. In the long run they all look the same after a while and often don't even get noticed. I would go with something different to make you stand out in a crowd, some people are not going to agree with me on this one. My next truck will probally be a 1969,70,71 chevy C10 or 20 just to be different. As long as you don't go to wild, I don't think that it will hurt your image.
    my .02
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think it looks very redneck and unprofessional.....
  4. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I think it will look fine 4 inch of lift is not that noticble. i bet its the same height as a stock F350, those Fords sit high. You probably did a typo but $1000 for a 2002 !! I will buy it now.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yeah...lol...that was a typo...I meant the difference in price was $1000....with the one with the lift kit is cheaper. Also, the one with the lift kit has the big 8.1L and not the 6.0 (which is what is in the more expensive truck I am looking at). As stated above, it would stand out a little more and be different. As also stated above, I was just concerned of the "redneck" appearence.
  6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Wow I was wondering how you found (2) 2002 trucks for $1000 ea! I wanted to scoop up the other one! If it were me I would take the one with the lift kit just because it has the 8.1 which is a $4K upgrade when new plus the pulling power over the 6.0 and the gas mileage will be almost the same.
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Does the lift kit use blocks or springs on the rear. I would use caution if it has blocks because you may have really bad axle wrap especially if you have the 8.1 and a heavy foot. What size tires does it have? Myself, I don't like lifted work trucks but to each their own.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here lift = normal :D ..

Seriously, I really couldn't give a hoot what someone drives.. And I seriously doubt most customers do to.. And if they do, well I guess find a new customer.

On a practical note though, I sure wouldn't wanna be lifting stuff into and out of a lifted truck, and I dang sure wouldn't wanna feed that 8.1 fuel hog..Especially if it has the big tires to go with that lift.. 7-8 mpg..