1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New yard install question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by srk1378, May 15, 2005.

1. srk1378

srk1378 LawnSite Member

I just got a contract for a new yard install. The yard is a little over 1 acre, but the finish grade was only done around the house. The rest was just a field and has grass/weeds around 2 feet tall. My question is this: Should I kill the grass/weeds first and then mow/brush hog it, or should I mow first, rake it and then kill what is there?
  2. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what part of Ohio you are at, but here is my thoughts. Getting a little late to do spring seeding. Grass will start, but has a good chance of getting fried in month or so. You will get a much better lawn this fall. Plus, it will give those two foot weeds/grass a chance to decay down. Because right now, you can kill it, till in, and depending what you do next...bring it back to the top. But if has to be done now, spray first, wait a week (let the chemical work), then mow, and have fun dealing with the dead grass. If you mow first, then spray... the chemicals don't have much of a chance hitting a leaf surface for the chemical to translocate to the roots (I'm talking about Round Up, don't use 2,4-d). Hope this helps. Good luck.
  3. srk1378

srk1378 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I don't think this guy will go for waiting until fall. I agree it is getting late, but this guy still wants his yard put in now. He understands this. I agree that Round-up is only way to go with this job. I would rake the dead grass before tilling. Hopefully, frequent watering and pennmulch will help prevent the seed from getting fried. Again, thanks for the input.