1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New yard! Pre -emergent..

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lorensanders, May 4, 2006.

1. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

What can I do to a new yard that has been down 3 weeks. It is bermuda and its green. Can I apply pendelum and vessel. He has already fertilized.....

Im in oklahoma ....

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if it sod go ahead with a pre-m application, if its seed and has germinated I would wait a couple weeks and apply Dimension.
  3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I would avoid pre-m's on any new lawn. You wanna get those roots established before the big heat comes. Check with the supplier of the sod. Often they are treated with pre-m's at the sod farm and do not need an additional app for up to one year.
  4. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

pre emergent wont hurt it ....will it.......
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

As "Quite" writes , " To be safe , wait until it's established
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

ronstar is the only prem i know that you can put on new sod. I dont know if you can apply it to bermuda though
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Enough of the speculation here......

There is only one preemergent you can safely apply to this new sod, which is Ronstar. Ronstar is not labeled for residential use...so your option is gone unless you are into doing illegal applications.

What should you do?

Apply a starter fertilizer now eg 18-24-12, then a couple of weeks later apply Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0. Apply 21-0-0 again two weeks after that. Your new sod will respond to this in a big way.

After this series you can apply Vessel at 0.75 oz/M if necessary to control broadleafs.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

There has been two studies that I'm aware of, one particularly from Texas A&M.
    Pendulem will not affect the roots on Bermuda sod unless applied at a minimum of 3X the label limit.
    So, go ahead and apply if you want to - if it was me - I would applied either Momentum or an ester based herbicide to control for weeds now - then apply the Pre-M when the temps are more suitable.