New yard problem... Pythium blight??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by G.M.Landscaping, Jun 23, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I put this lawn in earlier this year. The homeowner's went away for a week and came home to this. The neighbor said it happened in three days. I just sprayed it with Lesco's Manhandle.

What do you think it is?
    IM001767 (Medium).JPG

IM001766 (Medium).JPG

IM001768 (Medium).JPG

IM001767 (Medium).JPG

IM001766 (Medium).JPG

IM001768 (Medium).JPG
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is Kentucky Bluegrass....probably so.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If it was Pythium, you would not have ANY lawn left. From the picture, it appears to be a Patch disease, possibly Brown Patch.
  4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It was Kentucky Blue & ryegrasses.
    My first thougth was the two 90* days we had and the heat from the pavement killed it. This lawn was put in on may 10th.

Anyone else want to respond?
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

take a sample of the turf about 4 inches deep, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and send it to a lab for testing. Be ready to spend some money but they will be able to tell you any/ or all disease located in the soil....did all that show up at once or were there small spots on the top of the hill and it get tracked down thru the yard? I have seen active pythium and it's hard to tell without seeing it in the's definetly not brown patch!
  6. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

As Pro said, the only way to know for sure is to take a sample to your local extension agent. It is too hard to tell from a photo, but I have seen Gray Leaf Spot on home lawns in the past.
    I'm sure other former Golf Superintendents would agree, this is not a disease you want to have. I have seen it wipe out acres in a few days!
    The first tell-tale sign is leaf tips shriveling and curling, like a fish hook, with a gray to tan color. I am not saying that that is what this is, but I would not dismiss it.
    Another may be Leptosphauerlina. While there is no difinitive signs for this, it causes a general browning and matting of the turf.
    Get a sample out soon.
    Good luck.