New Yard What type of grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Brandon327, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Brandon327

Brandon327 LawnSite Member

I should be planting the grass around my new home about oct 1. What kinda grass should i plant. the yard is in the direct sun. I would like something that is drought tolerant and does not have the stalks like bahia. I live in the deepsouth. any suggestions?

2. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

bermuda, or centipede, preferably centipede, not exactly perfect time of year to plant though, unless you sod

3. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Brandon,
    I worked for Pennington Seed for almost six years and have faced what you are about to do many times. October is definitely the wrong time of the year to be planting a summer perrennial. If you want to plant bermuda and still do it in October, here is what will work. You will need to purchase unhulled bermuda and perrennial ryegrass. The ryegrass will cover your area thru the winter and die out in the spring. The husk on the unhulled will break down over winter and emerge in the spring after the perennial ryegrass dies. Perennial ryegrass will cost you more, but it will grow low and you will have to cut it less often. Plus it will be a whole lot prettier than annual. As far as centipede goes, you will either have to sod or wait till next spring.BTW, is your yard bare or wht kind of soil preparation are you planning on doing? The guys at Amite County Coop can help you with this project with the seed and advice.

4. Brandon327

Thanks for the advice. the ground will be bare and graded level so i should not have to do any soil prepertation. Yeah i was thinking it was the wrong time of year to plant but i dont want mud all winter long. The soil type is probally gonna be red clay sand or topsoil not sure yet.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Brandon

Argentine Bahia does not stalk like Coastal or Penscola Bahia. However it takes forever to establish. Carpet grass is an other seed type grass you might want to look into along with Bermuda and Centipede.

6. CottonPatch

It would probably be wise to take a soil sample also to check pH level. Depending what type of grass you plant you may have to raise or lower the pH for optimal growing conditions. Your county agent can help with this. There are some turf type bemudas that are unhulled. We used to sell Sahara unhulled and would look better than common. Keep me informed and I will help the best I can.
    BTW, how much area are you looking at doing?

7. Brandon327

I am looking at about 1.2 acres. Does bermuda require alot of water? How thick does the bermuda sahara get?

8. CottonPatch

Sahara is drought and disease tolerant better than common. It will also give you a more dense and green turf. Out of all the grasses. bermuda is by far the easiest to grow and take care of for a homeowner. It likes to be fertilized but is real easy to control weeds in.

9. Brandon327

I like the sound of the bermuda sahara. Where is the best place to get it? it is about $40 for 15 lbs at lowes. From what i read 15 lbs will not go a long way. What is the best time to plant it?

10. CottonPatch

The rate is 2-3 lbs per thousand square feet. I would check at Amite County Coop and see if they can get it for you. If you plant this fall, you will need the unhulled. If spring then the hulled. You can also plant the areas close to your house with Sahara and parts of the yard not seen as much with common. This will help save some money.