1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Yard....Which Grass, Golf Look

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccla, Jun 18, 2001.

1. ccla

ccla LawnSite Member

I'm buying a new house in a couple of days. The Builder sods the front yard but the backyard will be dirt. I'm in south Louisiana, And I want a Golf course Fairway Look. Slightly shady lot. I wanna seed not sod.
  2. ccla

ccla LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Input
  3. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

You can sprig bermuda.Tifway or Tifdwarf. Hope you
    like to mow a lot.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you want the golf course look,you gotta pay the golf course price-are you sure you want to mow with a reel mower 3-4X a week,water daily,apply fungicides like no tommorrow.Rethink it a little,you cant skip mowing,not even for a week,it will be out of cntrol,and the reel mower wont cut it,you'll burn it trying to get it back.Sharpening and maintain the reel mower is 3X as difficult as a rotary.Keep these in mind before you commit the the golf course lawn.Fungicides alone will cost you a fortune a season,you need to invest a lot of time,and no time off,unless it goes dormant either.
  5. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

You can always seed zoysia, but it IS expensive. Runs about $22-25/lb and requires 2 lb/1000 sq ft. I just seeded about 3000 square feet about 4 weeks ago and it's just starting to come through. Hopefully it'll get established before the weeds take over everything.
  6. Mownlawn

Mownlawn Guest

First of all. When you seed make sure you put down your fertilizer first and then the seed. And the Bewrmuda grass is what is used on the golf courses.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Go to some golf courses in your area and see what type of grass they use.

Good luck, your going to need it.:confused: