1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wildcatadam6, Oct 1, 2005.

1. wildcatadam6

wildcatadam6 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I'm new to the site. My brother in law recommended it. Hope you all are well. I'm Adam, from Lexington, KY via Alexandria, KY. I have a question about how to get the most out of my yard. My wife and I are building a home in Lexington, and we would like to know what we have to do in order to have a healthy bed for grass to grow. Topsoil in Lexington is very high in clay, so we are trying to figure out a way to get the clay to become good topsoil. Is that possible? What are your all's suggestions for new lawns. I'm still going to raise hell with the developer and tell them they need to provide better quality topsoil than what is there now. So, if I get that accomplished, I guess I'll just put down a 1/2 inch compost and let them do the sodding. Is that the right way to go?

I guess a way of asking is this: If you were in my shoes, what would you do to give your new lawn the best chance of getting a good start, getting a healthy root system, and a good base from which to grow?

The developer was planning on getting sod in by the end of October. Is that a good time? I want some ammo to take to this guy so I don't get screwed. I REALLY TRULY appreciate any info. Thanks a million.

Adam Eads
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to Lawnsite!! :waving: I wish I could help you more but things are so different in every State. You will get many opinions on this Forum to help you out.
  3. wildcatadam6

wildcatadam6 LawnSite Member

anyone have any clues?
  4. OCTO13ER

OCTO13ER LawnSite Member

Here's a clue: find a new forum. There's just not enough activity on this forum for it to be good resource for us homeowners. I think that most of the people that read this forum would prefer us to hire them to do our work. Visit this sight:

It's got a lot more activity, literally every hour as opposed to once every six days. That's where I've been the last four days.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Tell the contractor to put back the topsoil if possible,add as much organic matter as you can to the clay soil and work it in.Have an irrigation system installed before the sod goes in and have it on an auto controller.
  6. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

End of Oct is not too late for sod, just keep it watered, irrigation system is good idea. I would add more than 1/2" of compost, that won't help much, use 3"-4" and till it into the top 6 inches of soil, level and rake out large clumps and rocks, that should help with compaction. Roll the area lightly with a roller that has maybe 5 gallons of water in it. Then put down the starter fertilizer and have them sod it. Putting fertilizer down first will encourage the grass roots to grow down into the soil where the nutrients and water are.

Good Luck with the builder, they can be difficult about adding soil amendments, it costs them $$